Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digital Camera 101

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 08 at 11:47

I'm buying my first digital camera. I've never had one, and feel a little intimidated by them. Can they be used right out of the box, or is there programming involved? Do I just load the batteries and memory card, and I'm ready to go?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digital Camera 101

They work right out of the box. You'll need to run through the menus and apply the settings for the type of picture your are shooting. But thats just selecting options. Are you buying an SLR or point and shoot?

o

Point and shoot. The easier the better as far as I'm concerned. It's an Olympus.

o

One of the default settings you may want to change is picture size. My camera was set at 3072 x 2304 initially and that eats up about 2 mb of the memory card for each shot. It also has enough pixels to create large wall posters - not what I needed.

I found a setting of 1024 x 768 was fine for my purposes. That uses about 250 - 350 kb per shot.

The link has a chart that explains it better.

Here is a link that might be useful: How big can I print my photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here