Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mowers_gw

To Hang a TV or use a stand

mowers
16 years ago

I am finishing my basement. My TV will be under some duct work (that will be soffited and finished with drywall). This makes the floor to ceiling height in this area about 6 feet.

First, does this height restriction under a soffit pose any issues? From what I have seen, for a 60" TV, the TV height should be around 33" plus or minus.

Second, being I need to have the game consols and DVD player, etc in my TV area, is there any benefit to hanging it on the actual wall? I know it may look cool if the DVD and game consols were remote and all you see is a hanging TV, but I do not want to get into all the complications of housing these remotely. Therefore, is it recommended to just place the TV on one of those table type stands were you can put the DVD player and equipment on the shelves.

I have all my walls exposed now, so wanted to figure this out prior to sheetrocking.

Comments (4)

• oskiebabu
    16 years ago

There is no benefit to hanging it on the wall. With a good console you can place dvd players, receivers,surge protector, etc. on the shelves while placing the HDTV on top. You also will barely see any wires this way.

Just make sure you have proper measurements for the height of the tv with its stand so you need the maximum height of the console. If you have a surround sound system, make sure the consoles center compartment is large enough for the center speaker.

I bought a beautiful Plateau 65" console for my Pioneer PDP-6010FD Kuro plasma. It was one of the only consoles that would fit my Monitor Audio Gold Reference center speakers. And at $699 it was cheaper than many, while it fits some of my electronics, namely my DirecTV HD receiver, my APC surge protector, my OPPO DV-983HD upconverting standard dvd player, and room for another device.

Next to the console I have a 4 -shelf audio stand for a large Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, an Integra DTC-9.8 surround pre-amp, and a Sony Playstation w/Blu Ray.

Greg

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

i prefer teh TV mounted to teh wall will all wiring hidden. but my parents put theirs on a stand with all other electronics and it looks fine.

if you are not sure which way you want, have a couple people hold it up while you step back and look at it. this is what we did to visualize ours.

• pete_p_ny
    15 years ago

I would go with a console. Really, if you are going to have all your equipment underneath, why hang it on the wall. So the wires can drop several feet to a console anyway? With the thin TV and nice looking credenza being made, it seems the trend is definitely towards TV stands. And the TVs above the mantel...no way, too high.

• caudex1
    15 years ago

My friend's set up, 58" on a console

My 50" above the fireplace

However you decide to go make a cardboard template of the size of the screen, mark the center. Then mount it at different heights then sit in the desired position and see what's comfortable before you make your final decision. 33" height is recommended, but for some it's too low. I could have mounted mine lower but it put too much strain on my neck. Looking up slightly is perfect for viewing and keeps my spine in a relaxed neutral position for extended movie watching.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x