Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should be simple splicing question

Posted by thejangle (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 5, 09 at 10:10

I recently upgraded my Blackberry 8700 to the new Blackberry storm. While disappointed the new phone had a 3.5mm headset port instead of the 2.5mm port they put in previous phones, I figured the simple fix would be to buy an adapter so that I can use my existing headset with my new phone (Im kind of attached to the headset). My problem is that the adapter is unreliable, I often have people on the other end of the phone tell me they are having trouble hearing me or they are picking up ''static'' (which doesn't happen when Im not using the headset/adapter). I figure this is due to a poor connection at the adapter port, so I feel that removing the female end from the connector/the male end from the headset and soldering the wires together (or ''removing the middle man) might fix this problem. I believe it is do-able, as the connector does have about 6 in. of wiring between the 3.5mm male and 2.5mm female. I have pretty basic knowledge in regards wiring (I have done some odd jobs on car stereos and such), but am by no means an electrician. I do have a soldering iron, and just wanted to know if this seems feasible/possible before I start cutting wires. Also, any other information or instruction to making it a strong connection would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

P.S. The hardware I am working with is:
Headset - Plantronics MX 150
Adapter - 3.5mm to 2.5mm Headset TTY Adapter for Apple iPhone 3G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should be simple splicing question

problem is the wires are probably coaxial to eliminate RF hum. you splice them direct and you lose the shielding in that area. you think they hear noise now, it would be very bad then!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here