Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Receiver RX-750

Posted by love_the_yard (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 9:39

I have a Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Receiver RX-750 (purchased maybe around 1992-1993?). The input selector switch doesn't seem to be working properly. No matter which input I select, the sound is fuzzy and static-y. If I jiggle the knob or press and hold it in tightly, the sound will clear up, but often goes right back to fuzzy as soon as I remove my fingers. I have to keep playing with the knob until I finally get clear sound.

It has been suggested that I repair this using a contact cleaner. I successfully removed the cover from the stereo and the knob from the front. However, with those removed, I am in unfamiliar territory. Where do I squirt the contact cleaner? I am assuming it would be on the front side of the panel where the knob was removed, not on the back side inside the box. However, looking inside the hole where I took the knob off, I'm not sure where to start squirting. Should I just set the stereo up on end and squirt all over the stem? What is the proper technique for applying the cleaner? Here are photos:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

If that is not the right approach, can this be repaired on a unit so old? Is this unit worth repairing? (It was quite expensive when I bought it.) Can I repair it myself if I get parts? How difficult? Inside and out, the unit looks immaculate.

Thanks so much!
Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Receiver RX-750

I can't offer much advice on the cleaning part, but I will give you my thoughts on repair/replacement. I was in a similar situation several years ago with a Sony receiver (from the 1980s) which I was very attached to. The estimate to repair was just too high. I ended up buying a nice Aiwa receiver for a ridiculously low price (through Crutchfield). What I got was good sound, all of the functionality that I had with the Sony, and a remote control. No, it's not audiophile-quality, but I'm guessing that your Yamaha isn't either. (If we were audiophiles we probably won't be on this forum.) So I say, spray the cleaner in, rotate the switch back and forth several time, and see what happens. If that doesn't fix it, look at replacements. If you're just using this unit for a sound system (and not a TV, etc.) you don't need a "home theater" reciever, although you could still use one. Yes, it's a shame that everything is now disposable, not repairable.

o
RE: Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Receiver RX-750

You want to spray the cleaner in the back side where the contacts are. If you spray it in from the front it will never get to the contacts. Besides, there is grease on the shaft and all you will do if flush the grease out and make the shaft harder to turn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here