Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mirror tv for bathroom

Posted by tcjohnsson (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 08 at 6:00

I'm building a smarthome and I was thinking about installing "tv-mirrors" in the bathrooms. I am aware of a couple manufacturers but the prices are ridiculous - over $2,000. I was wondering if anyone has managed to find a less expensive turnkey alternative or if anyone has built their own tv mirrors using a good LCD tv and two-way mirror. Any advice is appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mirror tv for bathroom

here's some info on TV mirrors (let more light through than 2 way mirrors)

TV Mirrors on eBay

o

Thanks but those are just mirrors - no tv. I can't imagine paying $500+ (incl shipping) just for a two way mirror. If that company was smart, they would integrate a tv into the mirror and sell as a package - for about $800-$900. The tv wouldn't cost more than $250. A nice sleek package would be worth $900.

o

but, this way, YOU can choose any type and style of TV, LCD, plasma, size, brand ect.

just think about trying to get the mirror TV serviced. carry-in ? to who ?

o

True... but my concerns would be with fogging, moisture, sound (blocked speakers), etc. True mirror tvs are IP64 or better and offer side-firing speakers or speakers through the mirror themselves. So while a DIY version is an option, even doing it well could result in problems. I think a well-designed, reliable version could be built and sold at a sub-$1,000 price and they would sell relatively well. As data becomes more and more important, the tv could be used for more things than just tv. The possibilities are endless.

o

True... but my concerns would be with fogging, moisture, sound (blocked speakers), etc. True mirror tvs are IP64 or better and offer side-firing speakers or speakers through the mirror themselves. So while a DIY version is an option, even doing it well could result in problems. I think a well-designed, reliable version could be built and sold at a sub-$1,000 price and they would sell relatively well. As data becomes more and more important, the tv could be used for more things than just tv. The possibilities are endless.

o

i am interested in this too. did you find anything out?

o

Bump... to see if anyone else has one in their bathroom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here