Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pee_wee_gw

Philips/Magnavox Tv Problems ?

pee_wee
19 years ago

To get assistance on Philips/Magnavox TV: Post the model and chassis number on the subject line. In the message box, post the symptom. That is, what is the set doing or not doing.

Your descriptions are "my eyes and ears" of the possible problem. Bad description, bad results!

I won't read the posts every day, but what do you want for nothing?

On the posts that have 60 tvs listed on the one post, I will NOT READ AT ALL!

pw

Comments (187)

• dulcinea_54
    17 years ago

Pee Wee

I appreciate your time and any advise you may have.

I have Model TS2754 C101. We were watching the idiot box when the picture went out and the sound stayed on. The red led power light was blinking steadily, every .5 seconds. We turned off the set and tried turning it back on but the screen stayed off and the sound on. We let is sit for about 10 minutes and tried again with success. The set ran for another 3 days with no problems. Recently we tried to turn it on and we now get no picture and no sound. The led power light comes on for 1/2 a second with one click sound and then shuts off. I pulled the cover and examined the board, fuse, and anything that looked fried with no avail. Looked for maybe a bad relay but it seems that a logic signal/or lack of is tripping a relay right away. Any ideas???

thanks

• adairedevil
    17 years ago

Reposting, I did not see this tread until I posted above:
    I've had this TV since 1998. Today I turned it on, and the green power light is flashing. The screen is black with two horizontal lines in the center. The sound is working fine. I think something smells burned inside (I unplugged it). Any suggestions?

• knaufhill
    17 years ago

I have a Philips 25ts56 c121 tv. it shuts down at turn on. looking inside there is a burned part Ref# 5342 on CRT PCB.
    Any ifromation would help. Is this a resistor? could my Vert IC TDA6107Q also be bad?

• mommab06
    17 years ago

Can anyone give me some help with a Magnavox 60'? I turn it on and all I hear is a click. The 'green' power indicator stays on but nothing happens. I turn it off and on several times. Eventually the sound begins and a picture very small in size appears. Color is off and picture looks like a 'negative' image. After the T.V. warms up, the picture becomes larger and clearer. Getting much worse. Any help out there would be very much appreciated.
    mommab

• tnfan
    17 years ago

From the looks of things, I think Pee Wee had to get back to his other real job, and who can blame him. He owns this board. He was working a second job on this site!! Maybe we just need to take poor troubled tubes to a repairman and throw some words around like "23uCB resistor on the CRT board" and bluff him that we KNOW it's not a $100.00 repair job, but rather a simple, small piece of metal with a rubber tip that cost $3.00 to replace. Who knows we might just get lucky and end up only paying $35.00- $40.00. I have learned alot on this board tonight and one of them is NOT to get another Philips/Magnavox. May it rest in Pieces!

• michels73
    17 years ago

Pee Wee, I bought this TV new in 2000. One month ago when I started to turn my TV on it would start up real small and fuzzy and as the TV warmed up the picture would bounce back and forth from big to small and get more clear and full size. As time went on it would do this but would take longer to achieve a full picture. Now it will not produce a picture or sound when turned on. All that comes on is the green power button. Any suggestions? Thanks

• iceman3203
    17 years ago

Model Number 9P6040 C101
    Manufactured September 1999
    Phillips Magnavox 65" TV

Hi Peewee I was looking to see if you could anwser a question about my TV. The color on the TV is cloudy there is also a thin boarder along the boarder of the TV not really noticable unless you switch channels and in that pause of switching channels you see a grimy green boarder running along the boarder. It is sometimes harder to read smaller text. There is cloudy/foggyness over a lot text. Like for example when you see the word TOP GUN on the screen and everything behind it is black there is a cloudiness around the boarder of the letters that is visable. I messed with some of the color settings to try to make it better but it doesnt seem to help much. Is this a fixable problem? can I fix it? or do I need someone to fix it for me? and how much will it run? thanks for all your help id really apprciate any help you can give me. please email me at Erfanharoon@yahoo.com if you have any suggestions or know what the problem might be. Im in college and preety handy with my hands so any suggestiosn would be great... thanks again

• brucekinner
    17 years ago

muiltipoint digital convergence will not line up with red on top and bottom.

• icculusjrx
    17 years ago

My TV turned off by itself and will not turn back on. Not with the remote, or the power button on the TV. There is no green light, no picture, or sound. There was an odd odor, but not too strong, and there was a very faint ticking sound if I put my ear very close to the back of the set. I read all of these posts and it sounds like it might be a burned capacitor. I took the back off and discharged the tube so I could look around. I didn't see anything that looked burnt. Please let me know of any suggestions. Thank you!!

• icculusjrx
    17 years ago

I posted the previous message. I looked one last time and I found the culprit. A burnt capacitor at 2633 (821 @2KV). I will order it and replace. Thanks for helping everyone on this board!!

• notesnbolts
    17 years ago

I wanted to respond to what lextalionis said in regards to his 1994 Magnavox TV. We are experiencing the EXACT same problems. We can even watch DVD or videos without any trouble. However, watching cable channels causes the black screen to appear within two-ten seconds. Did you ever find a solution to this? If so, PLEASE let me know!! Thank you!
    It's nice to know you're not alone!!

• curtmarts_adelphia_net
    17 years ago

My set was manufactured in Aug, '94/
    I know that I blew my little 5" X 1" PC board that has all the function buttons, ie, volume, on/off, channell up/down, menu.
    because I accidentally touched a metal (copper) wire to it while the TV was plugged in, but not on- there was a spark/short, and all is inoperable now regarding that board.

All I have is Phillips consumer Div in Knoxville, TN so how do I order a new board for this model - I can install it ok, even though I sound like a clumsy hacker.

• gringos36
    17 years ago

I Have Been Told That The Green Gun (crt) For
    Model # 9p6040 c102 Is No Longer Available. I Find That Hard To Believe For A Tv that Is 6 Years Old. Could You Help Me Find Or Order One. Your Time Is Greatly Appretiated.
    Thank You
    Dave

• mdowd1_kc_rr_com
    17 years ago

Model#25TS56 C121 Serial#22837581 Chasis#25F800 7583
    It has been blinking back and forth from color to b&w for about a month. The last couple of days it has only been b&w. Do you have any ideas what is going on? I hope its only a chip that went bad.

Thank you
    Matt

• dpr_cableone_net
    17 years ago

Hello Pee Wee,

I have this Philips Magnavox tv that works ok except the menu, volume, and channel does not display. They don't display when channging the volume, change channel, or going into menu. One other problem thats not that big of a deal is when you use the picture in picture function it does not stay still it moves down threw the picture. It then comes from the top and moves down and disapers at the bottom and repeats.

Please Help!!!
    Dante

• jpm1009_gmail_com
    16 years ago

Pee Wee,

A few months ago my Magnavox started acting up. The picture is about half of the vertical height, and the colors are off - like they are mixed. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

• jmhiggins_tampabay_rr_com
    16 years ago

Pee Wee,

My brother-in-law gave me his 65inch Philips Magnavox TV and when we have the TV on there seems to be a faint pink blur going from the top/middle down to the center of the screen and stops there. We moved it here from his house 15min away. They said it might've been because of moving it and bumping it around a little. Maybe the bulbs or whatever inside the TV moved around. I don't know what model it is, anyway I can check it in the settings? Thanks!

James

• sjavm_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

I have a Philips Magnavox TV - Model #TP3285 C121

The tv screen has gone completely black with no picture or sound.

The led beside the power on button is not working as well.

When the power is connected with the TV I hear a clicking sound from the tv. There is no response / clicking sound for the remote or for the power button of the TV.

Please suggest the areas/parts that need to be checked.

Thanks for your help.

• kjayk_aol_com
    16 years ago

This is and older model. What occurred was over xmas the set was unplugged. When the TV was plugged back in you all the channels were activated and it cannot be reprogrammed to only show active TV stations. We have attempted an auto scan = it finds them but still shows all channel when you change channels. I cannot locate a manual to attempt to fix this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• steelhead164_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

dear mr.pee wee
    i have an old magnavox t.v. model#27TSC6 2104
    chassis #27B517-00AA
    i have it for over 12 years now.one day when i was watching it, the screen blacked out.then this noise came out of the speakers.it stays on with the screen blacked out and the sound changing constently in volume.
    could you please help me?

• richichi14_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

dear Pee Wee
    i have and old philips magnavox tv
    type No : a48krd89x03
    part No : 9322-132-79682
    SDI : 9 0 4 24 3888(2)
    the problem with my TV is that it turns of everytime there a really bright color showing on TV for example
    i'm playing Army of Two and theres a part when brightness is needed to be a little high and when it is, it turns off on its own.
    also when i watch regular channels, like yellow, if it bright it turns off.
    can you please help me.

• rodneymalik40_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Model # TP3684 C102
    Chassis # 36G700 7585

Hi PeeWee
    I have a Philips/Magnavox manufactured in 2000. When turned on its makes a loud popping sound. Screen is completely black and also no audio. If you or anyone can assist me it will be greatly appreciated.Trying to see if I can fix before having a costly repairman come into my home.

• semperfly07_hotmail_com
    14 years ago

Model: 6P544OW101
    Chassis: PTV745-AH01
    Serial: 60234604

The TV powers on fine but the picture is fuzzy and there is a high pitched buzzing sound that is intermittent. The screen, mirror, and lenses have been cleaned with ammonia free windex.

• rjturbo_2004_hotmail_com
    14 years ago

Sorry, I could find no chassis # on my TV. When my 2 yr old Phillips TV is turned on, I get nothing but the menu screen. When I push the menu button, it will flash very briefly to the channel, but then it goes immediately back to the menu. I thought maybe the button on the remote is stuck, but when the menu button is pushed and held, the green light on the front of the TV flashes rapidly and stops flashing when the button is released. I have tried unplugging the TV, but when I plug it back in, it's still on the menu screen. Any ideas?

• jhaggard65_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

i have magnavox model #51mp392h/17 serial# ya1a0426068519 it looks like my colors are not lining up.

• cdhoks_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

my tv model # is TS2556 C121, ser. # 39020109.
    I just need to know if this set has an internal digital QAM tuner? Thank you.

• frrice_verizon_net
    13 years ago

In 2008 we purchased a Phillips Flat Screen LCD T. V. Mod#19PFL5422D/27. It was fine until August of 2010 when it began acting up. When attempting to turn it on it would stay on for a minute or two then we would loose sound but the picture would remain. When turned off the power light remained on for 3 to 4 minutes before it would shut off. When attempting to turn on again a loud shrillo squeel would come from the set. Again attempting to turn off the power light remained on . It usually takes 4 or 5 attempts until it will stay on. Tried un plugging and waiting but this too did not work. Called customer service, (India) and after getting advice of things I already tried he gave me a number he said was a few miles from me but was actually hundreds of miles away in New England. Number was not in service. Contacted the Georgia Atty. Generals office in Atlanta where Phillips based out of, also the Penna. Atty. Generals office where I live and the Better Business Bureau along with a local consumer reporter from T.V. I want there heads!!

• toomarilyn_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have a magnavox 15MF605T/17 hdtv/monitor, everything works great except the pip. Maybe its just i don't know how to use it. I was hopeing to use my pc and have the tv on screen at the same time. When it hit the pip button nothing happen on the screen. What can you tell me? Thanks Big Guy

• jed70mach1fb_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Have magnavox tv model #6P6030 W101 with serial #66259246. Have sound but the picture is now black! All the picture tubes - red, blue & green have been replaced! Any information would be helpful! Thank You! Also the tv will turn on/off with no problems! As of today everything was working just fine!

• jwells_panhandle_rr_com
    13 years ago

Magnavox 42 inch model #42MFS210/37.After turning it on it made a popping sound picture would go out and a few seconds later would come on then work fine but it eventually one day went to turn it on and nothing light wont come on picture wont can hear a slight hum but nothing.Help.

• mommyni97_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Bought a PL9127C121 huge heavy tv. Very happy with it. No remote for it, and no "hidden panels" anywhere on tv to tune channels. When I bring up Menu, all I get is CC - turn off/on, sleeptimer - turn off/on, and exit.
    how do I add channels without a remote? My universal remote will pull up the menu also, but same options listed - am I just dumb? thanks so much!

• henderson_je_live_com
    12 years ago

My Philips Model#30pw850h37a...Chassie#em1.2vaa...Aug.2003
    the screen is bowing in on each side as soon as the set warms up.It does it in any of the screen configurations albeit to different degrees.If you can give me some idea as to the problem I can decide whether to get it fixed or not. Thank you for your assistance.

• edhammond01_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Turn power on stays on for a min or 2 then shuts down.

• Alexis Reyes
    9 years ago

When I connect my tv to electricity, this is turn on automatically and the monitor show me only a solid color: red, then blue, green, etc. And I can't shut off when I press the button, I have that disconnect.

• hollywood6193
    8 years ago

My Philips was and has been working fine then one day I had it on then it went off by itself. I thought it was the surge protector so I directly plugged it in the wall and what happened was a straight white line across the screen then nothing. no sound no pic. the red light in front of the tv kept flashing, not having the manual im sure its saying something but for me its not working.

the model number is 30pw35oh37a

• elairestephanie
    8 years ago

55" magnavox smart TV led

Today the tv was working just fine then all of a sudden the screen went green and stayed green!

Model# 55mv314x/f7

Sn# ds2a1441102800

• Michele Caulfield
    8 years ago

I have an older phillips magnavox projection tv model 9P6034C101 serial #27754916 woke up to the tv picture rolling is there a vertical hold button on this television thanks in advace for any help michele

• tushar_modi_app09
    8 years ago

Hi, Model No: 32ME303V My TV is relatively new. It was gifted to me by my friend who had used it only to show pictures on a slideshow and that too rarely.

When I try to connect my laptop to the screen through VGA port, video works perfectly fine but audio does not come even when I connect the audio leads at the back. I have checked the volume, TV speakers are on but no audio. Kindly suggest what can I do as I dont have the bill for the TV.

• jlsfahq
    8 years ago

philips 32HFL5860D/27 just got it used.. worked great for 2 weeks or so, all i have really used it for is DVDs . One time put in a movie the menu screen came on for just 2 seconds , all the lines started to sqwigal , the sqwigal got more intense and blank screen. . if i turn it off and re start it , somes will work , theres audio but no vid , thats what happines every time thanx jamie

• Jesse Dorsey
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Philips HDTV Model 42PFL3603D/F7

Chassis LC8.1U LA

March 2009

The CC will not activate. I've been using them for 6yrs and they quit about a month ago. I have tried all of the variations of the CC settings.

On, On During Mute / Service CC1 - 4 and T1-4 / Dig Cap Svc CS 1-6

• Abigail Bateman
    8 years ago

i have a magnavox model # 42mf231d/37

i plug in power chord tv usually turns on automatically blue light is on tv screen is black with light haze menu will come up then after a few min u hear a clicking sound or light cracking coming from what i think is the sub power supply board unit then the picture slowly fades out to black. please help

• tanyaspiers300
    7 years ago

I have a magnavox tv combo model ct202mw8 the sorce input button keeps changing , and it's powering on and off by itself.Please help

• Kimmy Williams
    7 years ago

Philips Magnavox

Model # 25TR19 C225

Chassis # 25F800 7583

When I turn my tv on, sound comes through the speakers but the screen is white with lines. The screen gets really bright then the tv turns off. It only stays on for 5-10 seconds. Can you help me please if possible. Thank you so much for your time.

• Rose Bongiovanni
    7 years ago

I have a Philips model # 25PT6441/37. I can not find the manual and the audio is printing on my screen. How do I stop this? Please help!

• 4petersake2
    7 years ago

I have about 55" Phillips smart tv. Model 55PFL3907/F7 SN: VM1A1213110389.

I had a power outage and the tv and direct tv modem were working when the power went out. Not so much when it came back on. The TV has a pink/violet picture stuck on it which has yellow writing. Doesn't seem to be a Phillips logo just some random picture. Plus the Direct tv modem isn't working properly either. The Direct tv company is coming to check it out but I'm looking for some input in case it turns out that the problem is with the tv.

Thanks for any help you can give.

• tratzlaf
    6 years ago

I have a Magnavox console tv that is 33 years old. It has worked fine all these years until recently. Now when I turn it on the picture rolls. I tried adjusting it without success. After about 30 minutes the picture stops rolling. My question is-should we try to get it fixed or is this just a sign that the tube is getting bad and it is time to get a different tv. We use this tv in our basement.

• Josue Bosse
    6 years ago

48” Magnavox Model: #50MV314X/F7

S/N DS3A1603152030

When I press the power button, the red standby light will flash ten times fast and will make some light glitch or crack sound out of the speakers.

The picture Magnavox came up on the screen a couple of times but it always leaves super fast and fades to black/no screen.

Thanks

• HU-387120957
    3 years ago

I have magnavox older flatscteen tv model # 32MF337B/27 and when you turn it on it shut right off I have to unplug it let it set alil bit go back and plug it in and make sure the light is on an red in the power button then I turn it on and at the same time i fool with the volume buttons or channel buttons located on top of it and sometimes I’ll get it to stay on but most with in about 10 or 12 seconds it’s turned itself back off what causes that to happen thanks pee wee

Rickey

• Nathaniel Dellapenta
    3 years ago

I have a Philips/Magnavox TV model pr1302 c121, Chassis 13y600-7560. I try to press the power button, but the light flashes quickly, then goes off. How can I fix this. I would prefer a solution that doesn't include soldering/wiring, but If it must, That's okay also. Thanks in advance!

• amammana
    3 years ago

Hi!
    I have a phillips/magnabox tv 19MD357B/37.
    I was watching it and the picture began to fade quickly then turned white. Sound is fine.
    Really appreciate your help
    Thanks
    Ana

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax