Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FCC License Needed....???

Posted by poohbear2767 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 23:36

I was looking at one of these today:
AudioVox GMRS1572CH portable two way radio twin pack
On the package it says an FCC license is needed to use this product.
What does it take to get an FCC license.
Since I can just buy this in a several stores and online
how will the FCC know if I have a license or not.
What does it cost to get an FCC license.
Seems to me a little over-the-top for a set of walky talkies.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

Up to 15 mile 22.x 38 Channel
Dual Desktop Charger
Rechargeable NiMH Batteries
Twin Pack
Hands-free Capable
Swivel belt clip with quick release
Full electronic controls
FCC license required

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FCC License Needed....???

At one time you had to have a fcc license for a CB radio.At first you had to pay then they did away with a fee.Then they did away with needing a license altogether.If I remember correctly they did away with a license for a radio with 4 or 5 watts.Maybe if its over that you still need one?But with a 15 mile range I would no think it would have more power then that?Unless it operates on a business band or something?

o

Fast and dirty Googling hints that any if there is problem it may arise from the frequency. I cannot find where allowable frequencies are discussed.

o

Cost of FCC license: $85 and renew every 5 years.

No idea yet of whether a license is absolutely necessary or not.

Pooh Bear

o

I'd be a rebel and not bother with any license.

The FCC is sooooo busy around here that a defunct FM station has been broadcasting a low power test signal for over a year now and they don't do anything about it.

I doubt they would bother to try and track down someone with a low power walkie talkie.

o

to be legal, yes you need the license. if you cause interference to someone and they turn you in AND they can figure out you are the culprit, you can face fines of up to 10k PER radio you operate illegally.

that being said, i would venture to guess that 99% of folks who buy them do not get the license.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here