Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Height of television on wall

Posted by mlutz (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 5, 06 at 22:43

Hello, a friend of mine is adding on to his house and in the future wants to put a plasma tv on the wall. I know I have seen a rule before for how high off the floor a tv should be mounted if it is to hang on the wall. Could someone give me the recommended height? I know that part of it will be how far back the seating area will be, but I know I have seen a formula for this. He is wanting to add some blocking in the wall before the drywall goes up. Thanks,

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Height of television on wall

Hello Mlutz,

I first want to let you know I own my own custom audio/video company and have many years experience in the industry. You have a very simple yet often asked question. There is no magic formula however a simple solution exists. A good rule of thumb is to center the TV exactly where your eyes will be after sitting on the chair or couch. The tendancy is to put the TV too high so it looks better in the room or on the wall in this case. If the TV is too high you will get tired of watching faster due to neck strain. Everyone usually compromises this by putting the TV's bottom where your eyes will be. The TV will be fine at that height. If you are sitting further than 10 feet then your eyes at the bottom becomes the optimal height. More than 15 feet and the eyes 12" below the bottom would be optimal. Also make sure you put way more blocking covering much more area than you will need just in case. This is very important. Some companies sell power and cable or satelite boxes that recess in the wall to go behind the plasma that allow you to plug in and hide the wires. Just to let you know.

o

Thanks for the information. I was thinking that the tv should be at that level. I told my friend to put the tv somewhere between his eye level sitting and standing and to adjust depending on where he plans on sitting. Thanks for your help.

Mark

o

Appreciate digitalden's advice. Assume he means the bottom of the screen when he says bottom of the TV.
I'm still discussing the compromise height level with my wife. Will try to invent my own wall hanging hardware. Will also have to decide whether to cut into the wall or have something between whatever is going to hold the components and the bottom of the TV.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here