Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Extension cord for treadmill, ok?

Posted by mrmichaeljmoore (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 1, 09 at 17:37

I just got a new Reebok treadmill.

The manual says that I should not use an extension cord.

But the only location that I can put the treadmill is out of reach of the outlet.

Can I use some sort of heavy duty extension cord? Anyone have any recommendations?

I realize I can have an electrician come in a put in another outlet....but I would rather not do that.

Thanks for the help.
mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Extension cord for treadmill, ok?

Not using an extension cord is "the right way". But you probably can safely use an extension cord if it can handle the current draw of the treadmill. You might want to consider what's called an "appliance extension cord". These are heavier-gauge and designed for devices which use more energy. They also run shorter than many household extension cords. You may not find one longer than 3-4 feet.

o

Thanks steve_o....

So I should look for something about 10 or 12 gauge?

o

That should handle it. But check the current draw of the treadmill and make sure the extension cord can handle it.

o

The only thing I could find is a 14 guage, 6 ft cord.
It says 1875 maximum watts....

Think that'll work ok?

I ran the treadmill for about 5 minutes tonight....seemed to work ok.

o

That should work with capacity to spare. :-)

o

The 14 gauge should be OK if this unit plugs into the 15 amp receptacle. Some treadmills are 20 amp. In that case you should use a 12 gauge cord. In both cases the cord should be only as long as required.

o

Go into one of the box stores or a good local shop selling electrical cords, equipment etc. You shouldn't have a problem. Our treadmill has been in use almost daily for six years, between the two of us, about 90 to 100 min per day. No problems yet. You need an electrical cord that isn't any longer than needed and must exceed by 25 percent the draw of the treadmill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here