Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twinklenose

vhs tape stuck, but not eaten

twinklenose
15 years ago

Is there someway to "trip" a vcr so that it will release a tape??

The other night, a tape borrowed from a neighbor began sounding garbled and turning speckled, so we quit watching it. Was fixing to return it, but the neighbor suggested our player might need cleaned, so I did that, giving sufficient time for the fluid to evaporate inside.

The reinserted tape played fine for perhaps 10-15 minutes, then started all that aggravation again, so I pressed Stop, and now the stupid thing is stuck. When you push Play, FF, rewind, eject, or anything, it shuts off by itself after only a second or two.

I've pried and pulled....

the neighbor even got the system open, and the tape (ribbon) is not jammed or damaged. Rather, the two pins holding the cassette into position are stuck firmly in place and won't let go.

Thank you, if you can help!

Was going to buy a new system at Walmart yesterday, but now they only carry one model--a dual vcr/dvd. We recently bought a stand-alone dvd, which we really like, because, unlike the previous one, this one will let us stop at a certain spot then pick up right there again later.

Besides, what if we bought the dual, then the vcr part on it went out?:(

Comments (5)

• twinklenose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Incidentally, it's a Sylvania VCR....

• jdbillp
    15 years ago

Some VCRs you can take the top off and manually manipulate the eject gears and get the tape out.

If you try this, unplug the VCR from the wall first.

You aren't going to find a new stand alone VCR anymore. They have been killed off by the switch to DTV.

• twinklenose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you. Looks like I'm in the market for an upgrade to combo.:( Shucks!

You're the kind soul who very recently taught me how to connect all these devices together so that they would work!

• jdbillp
    15 years ago

You could always try eBay for a new VCR. I just did a quick search and found New In Box VCRs from GE, Sharp, Sony, RCA among others.

Or, if you are adventurous, Goodwill usually has used VCR's.

• pjb999
    15 years ago

What you also might try is powering the unit off, then hold the eject button whilst powering it on. Some machines have this as a sort of emergency eject type of thing. Pro machines I have owned have come with instructions for manually ejecting, you may even find some in your handbook.

Since you have nothing to lose, you may want to tinker with it further...and try to eject with it powered on but make sure you keep away from any voltage present. Plug it into a gfi outlet. I also recall when servicing some of my vhs machines, the strong light I would inevitably be shining on the unit to work on, would confuse some of the sensors like the tape-end sensor which looks for the clear part of the tape at the end. These sensors can be recognised as a black plastic u-shaped thing that the tape passes through, or an arrangement where you see two leds on opposite sides of the tape path. They will not be emitting any light, but you may be able to cover them up.

Look for the mechanism that opens/closes the tape, and slides it out...if you are reasonably mechanical you may be able to work out where it's sticking and 'ease' it along, watch your fingers. Another possibility is there's slackness in the tape, if you can tighten up the slack it may work for you. Don't try to run that tape again, do everyone a favour and throw it out.

If you give up, you could consider joining a Freecycle group, you will often find vcrs being given away.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting