Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PEE_WEE -- please advise Magnavox 27TS54C101 Chassis 27B800-7562

Posted by old_school_andy (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 06 at 16:42

Pee Wee, I have a Magnavox 27TS54C101 Chassis 27B800-7562 that has no picture or sound -- all I hear is a faint ticking coming from the electronics (flyback?) when I turn it on. Upon opening the unit, I see that C506 is charred and smokes when trying to turn on the TV.

Please confirm that C506 = 820pF 2kV capacitor

Can capacitors just go bad? That is, if I replace this capacitor (there are no other visible problems the circuit board) should that resolve the problem or is the burned capacitor a symptom of bigger issues with the transformer or power supply?

Many Thanks,
Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PEE_WEE -- please advise Magnavox 27TS54C101 Chassis 27B800-7

Yes, capacitors do go bad. This a disc ceramic capacitor, which do not "usually" go bad, unless the circuit is designed wrong or the capacitor is undersized voltage wise.

I always replace c506 with a 3kv voltage capacitor. Even then, it will "run hot", but should stay ok.

The value of 820pf is ok, but I think the voltage should be 3kv instead of 2kv.

The set should run ok after you replace c506.

pw

o
philips tv model 21pt128a/97r

PHILIPS MODEL 21PT128A/97R
NO SOUND AND NO PICTURE
GRAY RASTER WITH RETRACE LINE
CHANNEL BUTTON NOT RESPONDING
SECONDARY VOLTAGE SEEMS TO BE NORMAL EXCEPT FOR 13 VOLTS LINE BECOMES 15.5 VOLTS
Can anyone please help me how to figure out where the problem is and how to do it.

o
RE: PEE_WEE -- please advise Magnavox 27TS54C101 Chassis 27B800-7

I have a PHILIPS TV, MODEL number is 27TS54 and tha chassis number is 27B800-7562
It have sound with a distorted picture (see attached picture)

CHANNEL AND VOLUME BUTTONS WORK WELL
SECONDARY VOLTAGE SEEMS TO BE NORMAL. U+=130.7V
I doubt the distortion CAUSED BY THE bad IC (TDA9302I)(may be BROKEN)
Can anyone please help me how to figure out where the problem is and how to do it. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: That Home Site

o
Philips 27TS54, It has sound with a distorted picture (continue

I just want to follow-up a distorted picture that I mentioned on the previous posted text.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here