Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some sort of ''soil testing'' instrument. I want to make another.

Posted by albert_135 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 11 at 16:16

Decades ago I bought a box of junk that had a ''soil testing'' instrument. It had a copper colored electrode and a silver colored electrode and a little plastic box with a gauge. I've no clue as to what it supposed to do.

But it was good for testing the moisture level in the soil of potted plants. Stick the electrodes in the soil and the gauge moved to crudely indicate the amount of moisture in the soil.

I got shipped out. The junk was tossed and time passed.

Now I am wondering if I could make another with some copper and aluminum and a multimeter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some sort of ''soil testing'' instrument. I want to make anot

Albert,

It sounds like you are describing a "soil moisture meter" alright. Some also have a switch to read soil pH & ambient light, and they don't even require batteries. For soil measurements, they use dissimilar metals in the probes and measure the electrical potential between them - very small levels of voltage/current.

While you could experiment depending on the lowest range of your meter, you probably have to do a large sampling of measurements and create some sort of reference chart to interpret the results.

Considering you can buy these soil moisture meters from home-improvement stores in the garden department, for $5-10, I'd be more inclined to buy one!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here