Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Induction heating for steam

Posted by carlos_grow (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 08 at 15:36

Hi,

I'm working on a project that would require the ability to heat water into steam via electric induction, preferably DC or via AC converter if necessary.

I'm thinking a monotube design with an induction coil surrounding it that could produce steam from 2 quarts of water in say 30 seconds or less.

Anyone here have experience with that kind of design?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Induction heating for steam

If my calculations are correct:

2 quarts of water = 4 lbs.
Temperature rise from 62F tap water to 212F = 150F rise.

1 BTU = 1 lb water 1F
so you would need 600 BTU's (but that's for 1 hour)

if you want it in 30 seconds (120th of an hour), you would need 600 BTU x 120 = 72000 BTU

1 Killowatt = 3400 BTU

72000 / 3400 = about 21 Kw

at 240 volts that = 87.5 amps

If you start with 140F water (72F rise), you could get by with half the energy needed:

240v 44 A

GOOD LUCK

o
RE: Help with Induction heating for steam

Definitely use a single tube. I would use one with vanes on the inside to maximize surface area between the water and the metal.

Get a copy of Davies & Simpson's Induction Heating Handbook through interlibrary-loan.

See also:

Here is a link that might be useful: Induction Heating

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here