Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home Security Solution

Posted by ottertail (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 15:15

I am looking for a outdoor video camera that is wireless, solar powered, Apple compatable, and accessible via the internet. Do you have a recommendation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home Security Solution

I don't know what kind of wireless distance, video resolution, field of view, and outdoor weather resistance you are looking for, but I think about as close as you are going to get may be one of the Panasonic IP video cameras.

Wireless that uses the typical analog or digital signal and 2.4 GHz camera/receiver setup is often unusable in many if not most indoor and virtually all outdoor applications. IP based with a wireless network buys you a little more range but are still not very reliable.

As far as solar powered, I have not seen a packaged system yet but a solar panel/battery system to power the camera could probably be put together for a couple hundred dollars in materials.

Internet accessibility is typical on IP cameras for network/internet use and most always include free DNS website service.

While viewing over the internet should be operating system agnostic, I have seen some that would only display on IE and not FireFox on a PC.

o
RE: Home Security Solution

more advanced electronic security systems used for surveillance and monitoring but only WDR cameras stand out as the best and most practical solution to badly lighted or washed out videos and images.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here