Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with Home Audio.......????

Posted by lynch (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 3, 07 at 10:52

When my stereo is on loud for a while, my CD's start skipping.
I have one of those seperate Sony 400 CD players and an older Yamaha receiver. The longer it's on, the more skipping occurs.It can't be that all of my CD's are skipping because of scratches, so what's going on ?? I don't know if there's any way to "clean" the CD laser as it it about 5 yrs old and has been used a lot, but I'm thinking that there's a problem with the receiver, right ? There's no problems though when my Sirius is on, going through my receiver, at a loud volume for a long time- only when CD's are playing- any suggestions please ??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with Home Audio.......????

Yes, there is a way to clean the Laser lens on your player. You can find it at Wal-Mart, Best Buy or Circuit City. On your receiver, see if you have an Aux input. If you do, connect your CD to that input and see what happens.

o

Is the Sony sitting on top of the Yamaha?

o

NO, the other way around. The speakers were on top of the cabinet that holds the two units, so I moved them away last night and sure enough, even on lower volumes after about 15 min, it starts skipping badly. I've been doing research and posting in other forums and the concensus seems to be that Sony's are notorious for skipping and there's pretty much no repairing it (just not worth it). I have LOVED this unit for 5 yrs, keeping all 400 cds in one unit is such a time and space saver. I think it's time to try something else ?? Anyone have a cd player that holds 300-500 cds and doesn't have this problem ??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here