Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hidden cable box?

Posted by folkman (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 10:35

I'm building a fireplace wall in my bedroom. Will be fireplace, then above it a hearth then above that I will mount the flatscreen TV. I will need at least a cable box but don't know where to put it. I don;t want it sitting on the mantel. Anyone have experience where you can put these and how it then interacts with the TV? I will be building some seating under the windows to the left and right so maybe I can put it there somehow?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hidden cable box?

You can try a Logitech Harmony remote. You'll want to use an ir to rf remote like the Harmony Ultimate.

o

How about facing up behind the tv. Temp mount and try remote.

o

The receiver eye for the remote signals is on the front, so if it's not facing you it MAY have trouble receiving remote signals.

As far as 'interaction with the TV' all it needs is a cable from one to the other, so it may have to be longer, but other than that you can put it anywhere.

Will the hearth stick out into the room so there are side walls on it? If so you could hang it vertically on the side wall, so the front of the unit faces the room. Not invisible but out of the way.

o

You can place the box just about anywhere. As long as you have power there and can get the incoming cable to the spot and a return wire to your options are pretty wide open.

You will need an infrared repeater system to carry the remote command to the hidden location.

Here is a link that might be useful: IR repeater system

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here