Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Discontinued cell phone

Posted by margad (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 12, 07 at 10:09

What do I do with it. Can it be recycled, or can I just trash it. Need ideas. Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Discontinued cell phone

You can turn it in at various locations; it will be used to give to people for emergency use. Verizon was collecting them, I don't know if they are still.

o

I think I got some one old phone.It blew up three weeks after I brought it.Verizon refused to give me a new one.said I got it wet.since I share a family plane I had to buy a new one.I hope this one is not a "used" one.Throw the thing in the garbage!

o

Don't throw it in the garbage. It has components that are hazardous to the environment. Go to this website and input your zip code. It will give you locations that collect them.

http://wirelessrecycling.com/home/index.html

o

On same vein, can you tell me what to do when a cell phone is lost? Guess I left it somewhere last night, as it is really gone! Thanks...wouldn't you know it...I am going away for four days tomorrow to PA, and of course, really need it then!
haffie

o

Call your wireless company and tell them your phone is lost. If nothing else, they can make sure whoever finds it does not rack up minutes (or hours!) on your dime(s). You also could ask about buying a new phone. Depending on how long you've been in your existing contract, you may be eligible for a discount. Or you can plead your case at one of the providers' stores and see what they can do for you -- either a discount or a used phone or an ugly demo or something.

Another option is an independent wireless-phone store that carries your carrier's phones among other carriers'. They may have special deals or traded-in phones. Or try craigslist and the like.

In my case (Verizon), I can buy a used Verizon phone and, as long as it has GPS, I can de-activate my old phone and activate the new-for-me phone on Verizon Wireless' Web site. I don't know what AT&T/Sprint/Alltel/others do, but you could ask Customer Service if phones can be activated over the Web.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here