Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to place front center speaker (surround)

Posted by tracey_b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 24, 07 at 10:08

Setting up a TV room in newly finished basement. Built-in cabinets (desk-top height, not kitchen height) along one wall will hold the TV (Sony 70"). We've pre-wired for surround sound speakers. I'm just wondering now exactly where the center front speaker will go. Was thinking about removing the drawer (one drawer above each cabinet door) and placing speaker there--but don't know if I can find one small enough to fit. So....where else would I put it? Can it sit on top of the TV--but wouldn't that be too high? Trying to get an idea of what I'm doing before placing the cabinet order (don't have TV or any other of the electronics yet either).

Thanks for any guidance/help!
Tracey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to place front center speaker (surround)

It should be OK sitting on top of the TV. Or along the bottom. If you buy a quality speaker, the sound dispersion should be good enough so that you don't miss much sound even at a larger-than-usual angle.

My TV (20" tube; I'm a Luddite when it comes to TV) sits in a wall unit; my old horizontal center speaker sat on the TV cabinet; the new one (a vertical single unit of my two front speakers) sits on a shelf above the TV. It works fine.

Oh -- and don't choose your center-channel speaker based solely on what fits. It should match your front speakers sonically; if it does not, things will sound disjointed -- not at all the experience you seek.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here