Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White horizontal lines across top of tv screen

Posted by seattlemike (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 19, 09 at 0:47

Our 6 year old 20 in. JVC TV set (model 20F243) has a band of white horizontal lines across the top of the screen, starting from the very top and coming down about 2.5 inches. The lines are very thin, quite close together, and straight (not wavy). They dont totally block the upper portion of the picture, but its annoying to look at.

Any thoughts as to what might be the cause? TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White horizontal lines across top of tv screen

Do the lines move at all? It could be timecode or closed captioning issues...

If you can adjust the height of the picture you may be able to get rid of them...but it may be the sign of pending issues.

My ex wife got a little tv when she turned 21 (back in Australia in 1982 or so, they were expensive then) - sometime in the '90's there was a "zzzzt" noise, and the height of the picture suddenly decreased and there were white lines at the top. I could adjust the picture height but figured that was it.

To my surprise, it still worked when we split up in 2002 and, according to the kids, it is still going.

So try adjusting first...

o
RE: White horizontal lines across top of tv screen

pjb999: Thanks for your reply.

The lines do not move, at least, not visibly. I don't recall seeing any control to adjust picture height, but I'll check again. I do remember having that control on our older sets.

As for the remainder of your saga, I sort of concluded that there was no connection between your tv and your marital challenges. I needed to make sure before I confronted my wife! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here