Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dismantling a big TV

Posted by criticalmass (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 5, 11 at 22:48

We have a TV in our basement that doesn't work. It's a huge rear projection Hitachi Model #50ES1K from 1994.

Since it took four people to bring it in many years ago, I know better than to try to get it out to the trash myself. I decided to take it apart (I'm hearing some of you say "Oh boy" right now).

I noticed, of course, all the dangerous warning labels, and there are three cable going from the three picture tubes to a box in the circuit board and the box is marked "CAUTION - HIGH VOLTAGE". This scares me.

I stopped all work on the TV. While I have a basic knowledge of electronics -- enough to know capacitors store electricity -- I was confuzzled by this warning:

"THE CHASSIS OF THIS DEVICE IS DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO ONE SIDE OF THE LINE. DISCHARGE OR MEASURE ANODE VOLTAGE TO CHASSIS ONLY, NOT TO EXTERNAL GROUND."

So, how do I _SAFELY_ get this thing apart so that I can dispose of it without paying 3 more guys $20 each to help me move it and then repair the damage to my back door?

Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dismantling a big TV

If the television has sat for some time, the high voltage has most likely bled off. If you want to be sure, use a wire with alligator clips at each and a med flat blade screwdriver. Attach one end to the chassis (ground) and the other end to the shaft of the screwdriver. Holding the handle, slide to flat blade of the screwdriver under each of the anode lead rubber caps (on the bell of the CRTs) until you contact the connector inside. If still charged, you hear a "pop" as a spark jumps, keep it on there for 10-15 seconds and it will discharge the high voltage stored in the CRT.

o
RE: Dismantling a big TV

well it is a rptv. but its somewhat complicated in construction. remove rear panel. pull out chassis. take off front bezel. remove screen. now you have to somehow separate gun assembly from cabinet. and there is a large mirror assembly. than you can take box/frame apart. pretty involved for the novice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here