Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lcd tv /blue ray question

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 29, 10 at 22:46

Dad just got a Sony 120mhz 47" tv from BB. He got blue ray dvd too. Neithe of us are very tech savy. For now he has his non hd cable box connected to it via coax. We are told the picture will be better when he upgrades his cable box. He also has the blue ray hooked up but has not watched a blue ray disc yet...just regular ones. We have noticed when disks play that you sometimes see a vertical line down the middle of the screen. It does not seam to bother Dad but it bothers me. He says maybe its because its not a blue ray disc or a tv setting is incorrect. I say phooey its a bad dvd player. Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lcd tv /blue ray question

I'm using a Panasonic Blue Ray player with a Samsung LCD TV. I have an HDMI cable between the player and the TV.
I haven't watched a Blue Ray Disc with it either, but I've never seen what you describe with a DVD.
I'd try another player.

o

Picture should not a a line down the middle of the screen when watching anything. It sounds to me like a bad player.

o

Are you sure it's connected correctly?

o

does the set have multiple co-ax inputs? my new panasonic plasma does not. it would be nice to use a cable splitter and have a box input and straight cable input and switch between the 2 feeds. but you will get a hd cable box soon so why bother? i had a hd set 10 yrs ago and did not get a dvd unit for 1 year. duh. what was i waiting for? took me 2 more years for cable hd to show up.

o

Should not have a line no matter what kind of disc it is unless there is either a problem with the player or a bad disc. If it does it on all discs then it is a player problem.

Upgrading the cable to hd will definitely give a much better picture. It will not affect the blu ray though. For best pic both should be hooked up via HDMI cable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here