Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutellasandwiches

Can someone steer me in the direction of a couple of quality tv's

nutellasandwiches
17 years ago

About me and my space;

I just got rid of a 15 year old RCA tube tv (built like a tank) and was hoping to replace it with something just as reliable ( is there such a thing?)

-don't get a lot of light in the room

-I don't watch sports

-mostly watch movies and tv

-I don't have HD yet but will probably within the next year

Budget; Around $2000

Size; min 38"- max 46"

Plasma or LCD

...and do I buy the extended warranty?

I've been looking at the LCD-Sony BRavia, Sharp Aquos, Samsung

and Plasma Panasonic.

Suggestions?

Comments (8)

• steve_o
    17 years ago

Much as I like Sony TVs, I don't like what they call "customer service". And since their LCD screens are built in the same factory that makes Samsung screens, that makes it pretty easy to knock Sony off the list.

Sharp and Panasonic have good reputations in the field, though Panasonic lately has been showing a distinct preference for plasma for any but the smallest screens. I would let other posters differentiate between LCD and plasma for viewability, etc.

As for an extended warranty, I would get one only if 1) it will not be possible for you to transport your TV in the rare event it needs service; and 2) the people offering the warranty were specific about how long they covered dead pixels (and how many or how few you need to have) and you were comfortable with those terms. Otherwise, for most people, it's money thrown away.

• jdbillp
    17 years ago

Just because Sony and Samsung use the same lcd panel factory to make their panels, does not mean that the rest of the tv is the same.

Panasonic plasma TVs have great picture quality and have been highly rated by Consumer's Reports for reliability.

Sharp LCD sets look great when viewed from straight on, but their contrast tends to fade when viewed off axis. The Sony sets have a much wider viewing angle than the Sharp sets.

• steve_o
    17 years ago

Just because Sony and Samsung use the same lcd panel factory to make their panels, does not mean that the rest of the tv is the same.

True. It is curious, though, that a head-to-head comparison of features (including specs like brightness and viewing angles) come up exactly the same between some Sony and Samsung TVs.

• nutellasandwiches
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok thanks all.
    A lot of people seem to think plasma tv's are much more reliable now than once thought. I am weary about the "dead pixel" issues and my gut is telling me to buy an LCD for longevity.
    Having said that, I am being tempted by a pretty good deal at BestBuy for the Plasma Panasonic TH42PX60 :( ???????????
    I won't be needing it for a couple of months....so this just a bad move?
    Do televisions get cheaper as Spring approaches?
    Thanks

ro

• sadie14
    17 years ago

We have been researching this same subject. Regarding the extended warranty, I've learned that if you use a gold or platinum credit card for the purchase, many credit card companies will double the original manufacturer's warranty. Call your credit card company first to see if this is a benefit of your card.

• steve_o
    17 years ago

Do televisions get cheaper as Spring approaches?

Televisions get cheaper all the time. It's a typical consumer-electronics product, which means that you'll be able to buy something better for less six months after you purchased -- no matter what you bought or when you bought it. :-p

You might do slightly better on price around major selling holidays (like President's Day). But the "winter-holiday" selling season just past probably was your best window of opportunity for a while for some screamin' deals.

• breezy_2
    17 years ago

steve o says And since their LCD screens are built in the same factory that makes Samsung screens, that makes it pretty easy to knock Sony off the list.

Samsung has an excellent reputation in the LCD market. They rival Sony, Sharp, Panasonic et al. Consumers rate them highly but they are priced accordingly. As to falling prices, they are indeed dropping like a rock! I priced some 42-46 inch LCD's the other day and was amazed at how much they have come down and that will continue. BTW, I have always admired Sharp Aquos the most but I saw the 46" Sony XBR2 when shopping and was AMAZED.

• iinsic
    17 years ago

I'm doing the same research as you and like the Panasonic very much. However, Circuit City currently has a deal for a Hitachi 42" for $1299. Not as highly rated by CR or CNet, but has more connectivity options plus PIP and is cable card ready. I may pull the trigger on that one this weekend.