Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two Receivers One set of speakers

Posted by txmat (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 11, 10 at 22:26

I have a home theater in the box for my TV and a separate receiver that serves music throughout the house. I have the Home theater using the included center, sub, and surround, but my main music speakers for the Front Left & Right. I want to be able to switch the main speakers between the two receivers. I only need to control the audio coming from each receiver. I do not need to control video. Would a simple On - On switch on each speaker cable work or do I need a fancy audio/video selector box?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two Receivers One set of speakers

That may work, but may cause problems (ruin the amplifiers) if there's any "spikes" as you switch speakers ...
(speakers are inductive)

especially if the volume is loud while you switch them...

Audio (and or video) switchers are designed for only "line level" signals (amplifier inputs)

You'd need a Speaker Selector Switch

Speaker Selector Switch at Radio Shack

o

Thanks Regus for the explanation and the suggestion. That is exactly what I need. Now, do you have any suggestions on a box to mount it in as I do not want to mount it in the wall? I would like something a little better looking than a light switch box. I need a box that I can sit on top of one of the receivers.

o

sorry, I don't know ..

you could find any nice wooden box,
then cut the required hole ...

o

Thanks. That is about the only thing I could thank of. I am sure there are set top boxes with this kind of switch. I will look for them as well.

o

> I am sure there are set top boxes with this kind of switch. I will look for them as well.

I don't think so,
Audio (and or video) switchers are designed for only "line level" signals (amplifier inputs)

o
RE: Two Receivers One set of speakers .

Maybe, if you'd be replacing an audio/video switch in one of those boxes ..

but it may not fit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here