Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jz500

Adding a telephone extension line

jz500
16 years ago

I need help with adding a telephone extension. Not another "line" just an extension so that we have a phone in the basement. I am in an older home and unfortunately the previous owners did alot of things willy nilly. I cannot find a junction box to tap into, however, I did find a splice in the phone line that just hangs in the basement ceiling. That added line (which is just twisted and taped together as if it were electrical line), goes to the garage. Can't I just get a junction box to properly attach these wires then add the new line using that new box? (The line that the garage phone line is spliced into is the main line coming from the box outside). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (3)

• regus_patoff
    16 years ago

that should be OK.
    Radio Shack has a lot of telephone connection supplies.

• jz500
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, funny thing about Radio Shack, I was just there yesterday and I talked to a guy there, told him what I wanted to do and he just looked at me wide eyed and said, "I wouldn't touch the telephone lines man, no way". Then tried to sell me a phone with a wireless extension. His name tag said he was the manager, so I gave him my thanks (for nothin) and left.

• regus_patoff
    16 years ago

phone lines are low voltage and don't need any special connections /connectors (would be nice)

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz