Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spencer_electrician

Modulating camera feed over existing channel

Hello,

I am working on a project in condo. Two condos are being merged into 1 and we installed a camera for watching over the kids. The customer would like the cameras to be viewed on a cable TV channel. This is a 20 story building and everyone is able to view the front door camera on channel 21. The customer would like a different channel to view through the cable box and potentially record short term to the DVR function.

My research has found there is trouble with digital cable and modulating signals. I could block out above the digital range CH115 and up and modulate on channel 120. Problem is their ideal would be to place it on a channel viewable to the box.

I found notch filters available in 19-23, 24-28, and 70-74. My guess is that is how the door camera is on 21. I could potentially place their own cameras on 20 but then the signal could travel to other units. Placing a filter on the 19-23 range would then block the back flow but it would also block the signal from the door camera. Could I place a 70-74 notch filter and put their cameras on 72? Do you think it would show up just like any other analog channel into the cable box?

The way I usually do this is to wire closed circuit rg6 to a 2nd input on each TV through the house. That was not possible on this project because the original condo is already finished in with one run to each TV. I relocated all of the feeds from their condo to a structured media panel that is located in their new condo next door (all one unit now)

Let me know if you think the notch filter idea would work and if it would likely be viewable through the cable box. The cable box receives analog 1-74 so in my head this is replacing an analog channel with a new analog channel.

Thanks for helping

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm