Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vhs to dvd

Posted by east_texas_melody (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 22, 12 at 21:35

I have a number of "home movies" that I would like to transfer to DVD... what is the best way to do that? I've been searching and I can't find a clear answer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vhs to dvd

You might still be able to find a combo DVD Recorder/VCR online, though they're getting hard to find in the stores as it's not a popular item. I have a JVC DRMV150 and it will dub a tape to a disc. The quality is adequate. This would be a good choice if you're willing to put the disc in and let it play, but not so good if you need to FF and REW a lot...this machine doesn't work that way. If you want to record live tv, make sure you buy one with a tuner as not all of them do.

The other choice would be to pay a professional to do it. You could choose to have the scenes recorded in any order you desire and have them split up into multiple menu entries if you want to watch some but not all of them.

o

How many tapes? U need a VCR and a DVD recorder at least. If u have 2 or 3 tapes to transfer it might be easier to pay someone to do it. I did the 8mm film to VHS swap yrs ago. Than I put them on DVD. Might put the content on my comp hd someday. Or utube?

o

azinoh,

Your DVDs should fwd/rev search like any other DVD videos.

What media type are you recording on (i.e. DVD -/+ R/RW/RAM)?

Are you recording in the DVD Video or DVD VR mode?

o

I haven't started doing anything... I have more the 10-12 DVD and 8MM I wont to put on DVD... or Blue Ray. Could it possibly be as easy as connecting the two and push play and record?

o

I'm using DVD +R RW. As for which mode...don't really know. This machine doesn't ask me to choose a mode. I've tried to search fwd/rev and it seemed to cause the machine fits so I stopped. Don't really need that function anyway and I didn't want to screw things up trying to get it to work.

o

azinoh,

Sounds like the disc is recorded in the DVD VR mode which can be selected in the initialize menu - depending upon media type.

If you have a blank DVD-R (not DVD-RW) disc around, you can try recording on that. The DVD recorder will recognize the media, initialize it only in the DVD Video format, record on it, and finalize it before you can eject it. It won't require any setting changes and won't screw anything up.

Just might help identify and provide a way to resolve the problem.

o

The reason I have DVD +R RW is because that's mostly what is available in the stores. I don't recall seeing a -R disc on the shelf, but I'll look. With the +R discs I have, it gets initialized before I even see a menu. When I put it in, I have to choose between "INITIALIZE" or "CANCEL" immediately. I have about 80 discs on hand, so it'll be a while before I buy more. Thanks for the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here