Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lcd backlight

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 2, 11 at 19:31

4yr old 20" lcd monitor has issues. i can see a very faint image. burned out backlights? found video online on how to take it apart. got out backlight. has 2 bulbs. both are burnt on glass ends. they seem to be 2.4mmX 385mm lg? found some online for $10 each. i wonder if it is worth it to even try to fix it. do any non-techs even try this repair? who buys the bulbs online? why do they sell them if no one buys them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lcd backlight

Actually, your problem may be the DC/DC converter which provides the high voltage to the backlights. If the failure was sudden, it's often the DC/DC converter. If it gradually became dimmer and dimmer before it failed, then it may be the backlights.

You do need to be careful when working on the panel as it is very easy to damage it and the associated ribbon connectors. You also have to be careful of static electricity.

It's not rocket science but does require some technical knowledge (or at least technical common sense), tools, and supplies.

o
RE: lcd backlight

i had the pc going into sleep mode for the last year. about 1 month ago i could not get the monitor to wake up. i could hear hard drive spinning but no video. it did start eventually. a few weeks ago, same issue. i pushed power button for monitor and got a 1 sec image. than black. i managed to get into power settings and as i was about to change settings, monitor stayed on. last week. got only very faint image. never noticed any drop in brightness. i do keep settings rather dim. now it is black. got new monitor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here