Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irislover7b

cordless microphone, cd player, for reception

irislover7b
17 years ago

A committee that I'm on is looking to buy a microphone to introduce guests at an indoor reception we have annually. There's usually about 75 people, and I'm not sure of the building size, but with 75 people and tables and chairs, it's kind of crowded. We'd also like to be able to play cd's. In the past we've used someone's portable cd player for the music and tried to speak loudly. In addition, we have a rugby tournament, and last year one of the guys was trying to explain the game to the spectators who were sitting at the bottom of the bleachers, and a microphone would have been a big help to him. The reception building has electricity, but the rugby is not close to any electrical receptacles. I googled and found all kinds of things, but none of us have a clue as to what we need. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (4)

• steve_o
    17 years ago

You might want to think about a portable karaoke machine. There also may be some "boom boxes" which accept microphone inputs, in which case you'd want to buy a halfway-decent mic. Be aware, though, that running either at top volume will eat batteries. It's just the nature of the beast. Might want to try rechargeables if the unit sees enough use.

• irislover7b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, steve o. Can you recommend any specific brands or models?

• irislover7b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's a system I found by googling, but it's not very expensive. I thought we would need to spend at least $300 or $400 dollars, but if something less expensive would work for us, that would be great. We can continue to use the borrowed cd player. Is this what I should be looking for?

Here is a link that might be useful: AudioTechnica ATW202 Freeway Handheld Wireless System

• steve_o
    17 years ago

The Audio-Technica looks decent. You'll have to feed its signal into whatever is amplifying the CD player. Then my question is if whatever that amplifier is could have both the CD player and the microphone "live" at the same time (assuming that's something you want to do). You also need to consider how you're going to amplify and voice the microphone sound for rugby games (since everything would need to be battery- or generator-powered).

I am not very familiar with karaoke machines, but I've linked to search results for "karaoke" at a company that I've purchased from several times over the years. Those listings might answer some questions for you (and raise some others).

Here is a link that might be useful: J&R listings for karaoke

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH