Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Converter boxes and VCRs.....coaxial vs composite

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 11, 09 at 18:13

Hi all,
I watched a U tube "how to" about using a VCR with your converter box. He said you could either attach everything with coaxials, or with the composite cables. Do you get the same results with those different cables? Would it hurt to have both coaxials and composites connected? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Converter boxes and VCRs.....coaxial vs composite

You will get better audio and video quality with the composite A/V cables. Note that the 'channel 3' RF output from many of the converter boxes have mono sound, not stereo. So if stereo sound is important, use the A/V connections.

Most TVs made before 1990 or so do not have A/V inputs - just antenna inputs. (I bought one of the very first TVs to sport A/V connections, a Sony Profeel system, in about 1982. Other manufacturers followed suit shortly afterward.) The RF coaxial outputs are provided to support the older gear.

You certainly can use both sets of outputs from your converter box.

o

i prefer to use the composites if both have it.

if the tv does not support it i use composite to teh VCR, tehn coax from it. if you MUST use coax for both, use chan 3 out of teh converter and ch4 out of the VCR to the TV. i've seen too many times where setting both to ch3 or both to ch4 causes degraded picture.

o

Thanks wws and davidandkasie.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here