Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
payuco

Using a PC fan with an AC/DC adapter?

Payuco
18 years ago

I have a stereo/dvd system that has a known problem with overheating. Apparently, the fan does not come on until the maximum wattage is being used.

It overheats and causes a part to go out. Many people have had this problem, including me.

I replaced the part and it is now working again, but I do not want it to overheat again.

I wanted to add a fan on the top to help vent the system using a pc fan that is temperature controlled. I need it to plug into the wall, so I plan on using an AC/DC adapter. However, I am not sure about the specifications and want to make sure I am doing this properly.

Here is the setup I am thinking of trying:

Fan: 12v .48A, on the box it gives:

Rated Current: .12~.48A

Power Input: 2.4~5.76w

Adapter: Universal AC Adapter with variable volage sections

Output: DC 300mA

I can select 3v, 4.5v, 6v, 7.5v, and 9v

Now I'm pretty sure that a lower voltage will simply make the fan spin slower which should be fine, but I am unsure about the Amperage.

I am assuming that you don't want a higer rating on the fan than the adapter. Is this correct?

So, what does the Rated Current of .12~.48A mean? Will it try .48 which is more than 300mA and would this cause a problem?

Thank you!

Comments (6)

• Pooh Bear
    18 years ago

Operating at a low voltage condition will cause the fan motor to burn out.
    You need a 12v source for it.

The warmer the fan motor gets the more current it will pull.
    Thus you have .12A with a cold motor or .48A with a hot motor.
    But running at 9v will overheat it and make it pull more amps.

Why not get a power supply out of an old PC case and use that.

Pooh Bear

• Payuco
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I didn't want a bulky power supply from a case sitting there.

I have read that many people use a lower voltage and none of them posted about the fan overheating.

What I didn't find is really anything about the amps.

• gooseberry_guy
    18 years ago

.48 amps is 480ma, so your power supply rated 300ma wouldn't do. The listing of a range of .12-.48A doesn't sound right for a single speed motor, unless your temperature controlled fan is regulating the speed, other than temperature controlled for on/off function.

Have you considered getting a small 120 volt muffin fan for this use. They are easy to find, usually as surplus take-outs for a few bucks. Try to find one with a feathered blade since they are quieter than a solid blade. They only use a few watts of power.

GG

• Payuco
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I found another adapter sitting around that is 12v 550mA and tried it out. It seems to be working fine so far.

And yes, the fan is controlled by a sensor, so maybe that is why there is a range in the Amps.

I'll need to crank up some tunes and test this setup out to see if it works properly. At room temperature the fan slowly spins, so if all goes well, it will speed up as the temperature rises and keep at a steady rate.

One problem though is that the fan will be running as long as it's plugged in. I don't think the stereo gets hot when it's just sitting there, so for now I'll just have to unplug the fan or leave it running. Might hook up a switch eventually.

It says it has a running life of 50,000 hours, which if I'm calculating right is almost 6 years. I guess I could just leave it running since the system itself probably won't last that long.

Think it would be fine?

• gooseberry_guy
    18 years ago

50K hours is probably longer than that adapter will last. I'm not sure what the adapter will draw if it's always plugged in and the fan is at it's slowest speed and amp draw. It may be quite a bit, possibly over an amp. Calculating, .12 amp is at 12 volt, and current may be 1.2 amp at 120 volts. Not sure though. You may want to figure out a way to switch the adapter so it is disconnected from the wall when it's not needed. Otherwise, it should work fine.

GG

• Payuco
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's working great so far! The Stereo/dvd player doesn't even get warm now, whereas the other day it was getting hot after just playing a cd for a while.

The regular fan does turn on if you turn it up load, but it's louder than most would normally play music or listen to a movie.

I'll probably hook it up to the switched plugin. I believe there's a lightswitch that turns one of the plugins off and on in the living room. If not, I might just go with a powerstrip.

Thank you everyone for your input!!!

btw, if you want a surround sound stereo/dvd player, just get one of these online and fix it for $30. lol I think there are quite a few of them on ebay that all probably have the same part going out because of the fan not turning on until the music is louder than neccesary. Let me know if you want more info. on this.

:)