Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
magnavox 30mf200v/17 lcd tv no picture

Posted by doodman (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 08 at 15:52

Hi there! I tried the search function first, but it wasn't working for me. Anyway, my neighbors gave me an LCD TV (Magnavox 30MF200V/17) because it has no picture. They say the audio works fine though. It turns on fine, but I get no picture. I haven't hooked up a source to it to verify audio, but I'm sure if they say the audio is fine, it is.

Anyone have experience with this model/problem? I'm thinking maybe the backlight inverter could be bad. But without a schematic, I don't know what to check. I've got an o-scope and DVM so I can troubleshoot. Just need some test points with what I'm supposed to see :) Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: magnavox 30mf200v/17 lcd tv no picture

did you try it with various inputs (if equipped)

SVideo, component video, composite video, ect...

o

o

I somewhat found the problem. I turned out the lights and then tured the TV on. Right after powering up, the backlight flahses for about 1/10 of a second then goes out. Then about 4 seconds later, it comes back on, only for about 1/2 of a second. I was poking around on the backlight inverter board at the backlight controller IC. I can't recall the part number, but it's a 20 pin IC. I think it was pin 13 (listed as TC on the datasheet), if I held my scope probe on that pin, the backlight would come on and stay on (only if I held my probe on there while powering it up and keeping it on that pin). Otherwise, if I took my probe off of that pin it would go out instantly. The waveform was that of a sawtooth. I didn't measure frequency or amplitude. After touching up the solder on those pins and components nearby, it seems to be ok now, backlight stays on (without me having to hold the probe on that pin). Yay :)

o

Actually, it's pin 18 of the controller IC. It worked great for about a week. Turned it on this afternoon and it's doing the same thing. Gonna try to get the schematic for this TV as the picture is nice. Was using it as a PC monitor for a few days. Wish me luck!

o

Doodman,

Recently I acquired *SOUND OF WIFE CLEARING THROAT* Ummm...
trash picked the same tv as you got from your neighbor and I am having the EXACT same problem as you are/did. If you could I would like a copy of the schematics/a reiteration of what you did to get it to work.

Thank you,
Distressed Techie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here