Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrm54

optical digital cables disconnecting

mrm54
11 years ago

I am trying to hook the optical digital cables from the DVD play and the DVR into a harmon kardon AVR 1700. Every time I push the DVR back into place, they pop out. I feel like they are pushed in all the way, but they are too easily removed. What is wrong?

Comments (4)

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

The optical cable connectors, also referred to as Toslink connectors, have little ridges on the male cable end that will make a definite click that you can feel and hear when properly inserted all the way into the female receptacle.

• mrm54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Apparently I broke them on the AVR. Bought it from Best Buy with an extended warranty so they gave me my money back. It has also been discontinued so could not get another one. Now I have speakers placed all over and no receiver. The speakers are PolkAudio RM 6750 with recommended amplification of 20-100 watts. Do you have any replacement AVR recommendations?

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

Wow! I've only made this connection about 5,000 times in the past 20 years and never had this problem but I am glad to hear they took care of you with the ex-warranty.

Since one of the main features about this AVR is local network connectivity and internet radio streaming, is this important to you?

• mrm54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, it was the first time I had ever connected that type of cable. You would think the directions would be more explicit and let you know to pay attention to how you are inserting it.
    Originally I really wanted internet connection, but then I am toying with just adding the apple airplay or the apple TV later if it doesnt have it.
    If I got a AV Receiver with "Pass Through", could I then connect the AVR to the TV with HDMI cable, and hear the TV if the AVR is not on. There seems to be many different types of "pass through" and I may be misinterpreting what others are saying. I was trying to decrease all the cable madness.
    I do want one where I can connect a pre-amp so I can connect my old turntable, and I want a front USB port to connect an old IPod, if it has no internet connection then I need the type of port for the apple gadget. The speakers are 8 oHms, so it needs to support that. I want a good one, but I am not an audiophile and the speakers are not audiphile speakers. Would like to keep it under $400.
    Do you have any suggestions?