Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjb999

tapping more than once from a transformer?

pjb999
15 years ago

Not sure if this is a wiring or electronics question. I think I know the answer but want confirmation.

Until recently, thanks to the building downturn, I was working as an apprentice/junior alarm installer/technician, and I've inherited enough secondhand equipment to build my own system. There are several devices that require DC power, and the panel dc supply is limited. In these cases at work we would use a separate, commercially produced dc supply, and we would connect it to a separate transformer (the doorbell style that connects to a mud ring) - my question is this - provided I stay within the capacity of the power supply - in dc land we usually said no greater draw than 80% of the rated output of the supply, is there any reason why I can't tap off the transformer twice (note this is not a multitap) ie run one set of wires to power the panel, and another set to my own dc/rectifier setup for the additional devices (I've built many dc supplies myself and have enough parts to build many more)

Comments (4)