Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sticking Switch

Posted by mxyplx (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 7, 07 at 13:37

Steam Iron: The rotating selector switch began to stick a couple weeks ago after only about 6 years use. Nothing on their web site about this greevous problem.

Anyway I pulled off the switch handle and shot some silicone spray into the switch which seemed to loosen it up OK but what would be the best thing to shoot in there? Chain Lube?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sticking Switch

Silicone is not a good idea to spray on any switch that has electrical contacts. A better idea would be to spray it with 'brake/electrical contact" cleaner found at NAPA and other places. Make sure the iron is cool, take it outside the house so you don't inhale the fumes. Spray it a little, and rotate the switch a few times, then leave the iron outside for 30 minutes to allow it to dry.

When you go to the store to buy electrical contact cleaner, read the label to make sure it won't damage the plastic parts on the iron.

But you have said that it's a 6-year iron. Right? Why don't you just buy a new one? These don't cost very much nowadays.

o

Thankyou.

I'll add that stuff to my collection. Had the choice among: WD40, Ace Penetrant/Lube, Liquid Wrench, Break Free, Chain Lube, Silicone with or w/o Acetone, Computer Screen Cleaner and 20 weight Non-Detergent Oil. The Screen Cleaner never touched it. Silicone w/acetone was next handiest. Hope it lasts. :-)

The iron is probly over due but if it ain't fixt don't break it. :-)

o

Keep in mind that oil, WD-40, grease, vaseline, and a few others conduct electricity. Silicone is just like plastic or an isolator. However, electrical contact cleaner is non-flammable nor explosive, and it dries very fast.

The switch on an iron is just a rheostat. You don't want to get silicone on it, nor grease, oil, etc. However, it's possible that only the part of the switch away from the rheostat inside is binding or sticking. One could use silicone, or maybe WD-40 as long as the liquid does not get inside the switch or rheostat.

And yes, I repair all I can before having to buy new. It's not a bad idea at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here