Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Danger using older telephone.

Posted by flowergirl70ks (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 13:11

I have an older Panasonic phone. there is a burnt wire on the line cord. It shut off all the phones in the house. I found that the handset was warm, then I found the burnt wire. I bought a new battery, and a new cord. the people at the store told me it wasn't safe to use the phone anymore as it could blow up and cause a fire. Is this true, or do they just want to sell me a new phone?I e-mailed Panasonic, but they don't answer. I love this phone plus it has my answering machine on it. Anybody know about this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Danger using older telephone.

Replies are only as useful as facts first provided. For example, you mention a line cord. Is that an AC power cord? Phone line? Headset?

If the phone is shorting telephone lines, than the phone is defective. Unreported is what that phone is doing. Reported is that other phones do not work. Do not work when an incoming call should cause a ring? Terminates a dialtone after 20 seconds even when on hook? Eliminates the dialtone immediately?

Anyone can say the phone is probably defective. Nobody (and be honest) can say anything more. But then what are you trying to do? Fix a $10 phone? Or determine if the phone is good enough to create arson?

o

Thanks a lot for nothing

o

That was not nothing, with all due respect it was a series of questions soliciting more information about your problem. Many are the same ones I would have asked to get sufficient info to diagnose the problem.

It does sound like the phone may have a problem not related to the battery, but it's hard to be sure.

o

The OP's post of thanks for nothing is extremely rude. You don't give enough info, someone willing to help asks for details … and you respond rudely? Wow.

o

I thought it is battery issue.

o

"Thanks a lot for nothing"

Real Class - maybe just a Senior Moment of self entitlement. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here