Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrm54

connecting av receiver help

mrm54
11 years ago

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV about 3.5 years old, cable TV with a DVR and just purchased a Harman Kardon AVR 1700. I have a DVD with one of every type of connection. I want to hook up the receiver so that I do not have to have it on all the time. I will want to use it for surround sound when I use the DVD, but will rarely use it to watch regular TV. All the instructions I see on the internet say to link everything to the receiver then the receiver to the TV. I am afraid if I do that I will have to leave the receiver on. Is there a better way to accomplish this???

Comments (11)

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

Run the "best video" signal output from each device to individual inputs on the display. Run the "second best" audio output from each device to the corresponding video input for that device. I.E. - in order - HDMI, Component, S-video, Composite, RF.

Then run the "best audio" output from each device to the HK AVR 1700 - typically digital audio from a coax/optical connector or analog 5.1 audio outputs.

Now, you can watch television with audio and video from each device by selecting the appropriate input on your television. If you want better quality or surround sound, turn on the HK AVR 1700, and then select the appropriate input - you're good to go!

• mrm54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I have HDMI and in the first paragraph are you saying to run the HDMI from each device into the AVR? then run the 2nd best output from each device to the input in the AVR?

thanks for your response

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

Sorry...

Run the best quality video output from each of the individual devices to separate video inputs on the television. Follow them with an audio output from each of those devices (except HDMI which already contains the audio) to the accompanying audio input for each of those video inputs.

Run a separate audio output - and of better quality if available - such as digital coax/optical - from each of the devices you wish to listen to with surround sound, directly to individual inputs on the AVR.

This way, you are not switching the A/V signal through the AVR, but through the television. You are watching and listening to each device on the television.

Then, if you desire, you can then select the appropriate audio input on the AVR and listen to the surround sound through the AVR and the external speakers.

• mrm54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So it would be something like this?
    DVR to TV with HDMI
    DVD to TV with HDMI
    TV to AVR with digital coax/optical
    DVD to AVR with digital coax/optical

Just trying to figure out how many and what type of cables to purchase. Do you know where the WII would connect in this scenerio?
    Thanks in advance

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

Three out of four sound right!

TV to AVR digital audio may only be audio from the DTV tuner built into the TV. If you are watching OTA television this would work. If you want to listen to the DVR on the AVR, you will probably need to feed an audio signal from the DVR to the AVR.

BTW - digital coax and optical, while carrying the same signal, are two different interfaces. Your AVR has one coax and two optical inputs - match them to the type of digital audio outputs available on your DVD and DVR.

• mrm54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THANKS!
    I think this is what you are saying: I am going to connect the TV to the AVR with an optical input. Since I will have the HDMI from the DVD to the TV I will still need an audio optical to the AVR from the DVD

Now, If I ran an HDMI from the DVD to the AVR, would I then need an HDMI from the AVR to the TV and if so, would that screw up the optical input from the TV to the AVR?
    See why this is confusing? At least the speaker connections are not so confusing.

• mrm54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had to go look up what OTA television and no, I have cable.
    So I need an audio connection from the DVR to the receiver.
    This is what I think you are saying.
    DVR to TV with HDMI
    DVR to AVR with optical
    DVD to TV with HDMI
    DVD to AVR with optical.
    Is that it?

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

Yup! That's it!

BTW, your AVR has 3 digital audio inputs - two optical and one coax. You just need to confirm the type of digital audio outputs your DVR and DVD have before buying cables.

The optical and coax connections carry the same information but one (optical) as a modulated beam of light and the other (coax) as an electrical signal.

• mrm54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had to go look up what OTA television and no, I have cable.
    So I need an audio connection from the DVR to the receiver.
    This is what I think you are saying.
    DVR to TV with HDMI
    DVR to AVR with optical
    DVD to TV with HDMI
    DVD to AVR with optical.
    Is that it?

• mrm54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG you are a lifesaver. Sorry for posting the same question twice

• mrm54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I cannot get these optical digital cables to stay plugged into the AVR. What the heck? Everytime I put the receiver back into the cabinet, they came out . Do they make a clamp for this?

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County