Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nananoreen_gw

hiding cords on wall mount tv

nananoreen
15 years ago

i like the idea of hiding my wall mount lcd tv electrical plug using a recessed outlet, but should'nt the plug be in a surge protector? the outlets on the website look too small and not deep enough to accomodate a surge protector and plug. what can be done?

Comments (6)

• azlighting
    15 years ago

There are small surge protector plug-ins that are about the same size as the wall outlet. They only stick out about 1-2 inches.
    Here is an example. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7742428&type=product&id=1140393589030

You don't need a large expensive one as they all do the same thing. In fact most smaller ones offer a warranty upwards of $25K, while the more expensive ones don't.

• pjb999
    15 years ago

Cheaper surge protectors can actually attract more damage than they repel, because they tie the appliance to ground (as I understand it) - I've never heard from anyone who's claimed on one of those warranties. If space is limited, a whole-house surge protector, installed at the breaker panel might be a better option, and they're not that expensive.

I've actually had an electrician argue that surge protectors don't do much if you have underground services, as lightning strikes/induction is the predominant cause of surges. I'm not sure if I'd agree with that statement or not, and a properly constructed surge protector certainly does no harm.

• jdbillp
    15 years ago

Panamax makes a kit for flush mount surge protection. Not cheap but it really works.

Here is a link that might be useful: click here

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

I think those wire management systems are a crock. I can never get all my wires to stay in and look neat. I have tried different styles and still no luck.

as for the surge suppressors that warranty is a crock too. you have to save the original packaging and the receipt. Have you tried to save a receipt for over a few months? they usually fade to a blank piece of paper. SO you get smart, make a copy of the receipt, put it in the box and throw the box in the closet. After getting sick of seeing the box in the closet you throw it out and then bam the suppressor fails, you computer blows up and no remedy. Its murphys law!! I speak from experience...

Seriously I heard that tying a single knot in all your cords helps (diverts the straight path). I lived in Fl and experienced lots of burnouts. I tied the knots in all my cords just to see if it would work and I had no more electronics fail. Was it coincidence or the knots? I dunno but I am not taking a chance of not tying my cords up any more.

• jdbillp
    15 years ago

"Seriously I heard that tying a single knot in all your cords helps (diverts the straight path). I lived in Fl and experienced lots of burnouts. I tied the knots in all my cords just to see if it would work and I had no more electronics fail. Was it coincidence or the knots? I dunno but I am not taking a chance of not tying my cords up any more."

Defies physics.

• pjb999
    15 years ago

LMAO. I would strongly argue it's coincidence.....however there IS a tiny bit of physics in there, as the knot may be acting as a sort of poor person's choke despite the lack of a ferrite or amorphous iron core. I created my own with a video camera power supply that had a lot of hum, by winding a spiral of the cord up a ferrite rod til the hum disappeared...

There is a proper formulae for creating chokes but they are more for filtering noise than 'protection' but most good surge protectors incorporate chokes - and good mains chokes are wound around a donut-shaped core, rather than a straight one. However, as I indicated , lots of things that shouldn't work, often do.

HOWEVER- as for the knot in the cord - has nothing to do with any 'straight path' and is more likely to do harm than good, if it damages the insulation or inner stranded wire, it could overheat and cause a fire, similarly, coiling or knotting a wire also (in ac power-land) causes a 'transformer effect' which will create noise, and potentially heat, therefore again a fire risk.

If you have a lot of electrical problems/burnouts, you either have loose neutrals in your house (not uncommon) a poor supply from the poco (rare) or above ground lines in a lightning-prone area.

A decent surge protector will help but mostly by preventing your death in a lightning strike - I have provided tech support to many customers who were victims of lightning strikes - a line conditioner is better, and an UPS that provides line conditioning and switchover to backup power when poco power is subpar is ideal, however, they will not necessarily protect equipment downstream in all cases but increase your chance of survivability in a catastrophe. Amongst recognised/respected brands of surge protectors etc the warranty/insurance may be worthwhile (surely keeping/preserving receipts is not rocket surgery) but for the most part I suspect the warranty/insurance is a gamble for the company, for every 10,000 units they sell, they might get one claim.

Many household insurance policies protect against electrical damage. Personally, I'd start with a whole-house surge protector. Remember that surge protectors are consumables and need to be replaced periodically, when and if they do absorb a big surge, they may fail completely (but have hopefully saved devices down the line)

For those tempted, "Monster Cable" type premium cables/suppressors 'audiophile power cables' do not work. Their benefits are purely subjective. There is no scientific evidence they work. Don't be sucked in http://hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t29989.html

I have no doubt Monster cable et als surge protectors etc are nice quality products but I would not pay the premium. Nor would I buy audio cables at the dollar store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Choke theory

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!