Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bad news for converter people!

Posted by tobr24u (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 26, 09 at 10:15

Although the govt promises more channels and better visual and audio quality. A couple of articles have related that the opposite might be true: fewer channels and poorer reception. This is evidently due to the dispersal pattern change of some antennas and more interference from aircraft and other sources. As a converter person, I will wait till Feb to cast my final verdict. But I have one hooked up and have found the articles to be true so far...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bad news for converter people!

some stations had to change towers to put their digital transmitters on teh air due to tower loading. manyh of these WILL go back to the original towers after the switch and things will be basically teh same coveragewise. others will not go back and thus the new area may be different than it used to be.

another thing is many analog VHF stations are using UHF right now for their digital. but after the switch they will go back to VHF. if you wasted your money on a powered HD ready UHF antenna, you may be screwed. i keep telling everyone tha tyou don't have to buy anyting but the convertor, your existing antennas will work in 95% of cases.

as far as more interference, in MY case it is actually less and better signal. i have never been able to pick up the local CBS nor PBS stations. with digital i cna get both, so i went from 1 ABC station to 7 digital channels. if i ever get off my butt and put up my antenna outside i should be able to pick up a few more channels easily.

o
RE: Bad news for converter people!

Here's a link to the expected digital coverage area compared to the present analog coverage for each TV market.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coverage Maps of Digital TV Stations

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here