Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HDMI Monster Cable necessary?

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 4, 07 at 9:28

I have a Sony Bravia 32" XBR series TV. The cable company installed the HD box the other day. We had heard that the HDMI monster cable would give an even better picture than the connection used by the cable company. The cable company says there's no difference. Has anyone used the monster cable, and how much did you pay for it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HDMI Monster Cable necessary?

I have only one Monster Cable product, which I bought cheap at Goodwill. It's the cable from my DVD player to my receiver. I can't honestly say it sounds any different from the vendor-supplied cable that came with the DVD player. It simply was long enough to reach what it had to; the original one was not.

There is an entire "cult" based around the qualities of various cables and their materials and construction, and the sky is the limit on what some people are willing to pay for them. While there may be discernible differences between cables, IMHO they are just that -- differences -- not necessarily improvements.

I would venture that most folks out there would not experience any kind of improvement in using fancier cables -- certainly not while the cable company signal and room configuration has such a great effect on what you actually see and hear.

o

Someone told me they bought a Monster Cable for $70 and it provided a spectacular picture. I paid enough for the Sony without having to spend more for another cable. I'm happy enough with the picture.

o

unless you have an extremely cheaply made hdmi cable now you will not see a noticeable difference.monster cable is just very well marketed.do you think they use monster cable at cable head-ends?hell no!if your cable is less than 8' long don't fall for the monster hype.

o

No difference. I installed a short HDMI cable that is used for gaming machines (maybe X-Box?), and the signal quality is not any different than another more expensive cable that I also have. I paid $56.00 for the expensive one (it's longer), and $29.00 for the shorter one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here