Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electronic's storage question.

Posted by arkansas_girl (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 7, 07 at 9:18

I am currently living in a small apartment and I have several stereo components that I can't find room for right now and also a couple extra computers and monitors...will it ruin them to put then at my storage rental that is NOT climate controlled. It can get down to around 0 degrees where I live!(NE Ohio) Please help answer! I haven't a clue ;P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electronic's storage question.

The big issue you'll have to address is humidity. Zero degrees is okay -- ice crystals are not. Make sure it's either quite dry when you box these items -- or buy some of those dessicant packets to absorb moisture. When you bring the items back into the house, if it isn't warm yet, treat them gently and let them sit in their boxes a couple of days to come up to room temperature gradually. Do not handle them too much and don't plug in anything when it's ice-cold.

o

Great idea about the dessicants...I never though of that but I have never seen them for sale anywhere...do you know where to buy? Perhaps at a U-haul store?

o

No idea. Maybe U-Haul; maybe a place that sells storage items? Maybe even a hardware store. Worth a couple of phone calls.

Okay, I guess I have some idea ... :-p

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here