Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't get VCR menu when hooked to converter box

Posted by calmpond (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 28, 09 at 8:58

After hooking up our TV and VCR/DVD player to a converter box, we were pleased with our nice picture and additional channels. All was fine until I went to program a timed recording on the VCR. I know that I need to specify channel 3 for the VCR and then set the converter box to the channel I wish to record, but I can't even get to first base, meaning that I can't bring up the menu on the VCR to program it. What am I doing wrong?
Details:
Converter box: Digital Stream DTX9950
VCR/DVD player: Toshiba SD-V393

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't get VCR menu when hooked to converter box

Is the VCR connected between the converter box and the TV?

o

jdbillp,
My husband says yes, the VCR is connected between the converter box and the TV.

o

sounds like maybe the VCR is not hooked between them like he thinks. or it's output is set to the wrong channel. if you put a tape or dvd in, can you watch them?

o

Yes, we can watch tapes and DVDs fine.

o

if you can watch a tape of DVD thru the VCR, then you should be able to bring up the menu. if you can't, then the VCR may be going stupid or bad.

o

It's embarassing to admit that we could have missed something so basic, but we went back to Radio Shack and asked the guy who sold us the converter box and he asked, "Did you push the TV/VCR button?" Something we should have known to try! Went home, and he was right.

He also told us how to go in and turn off the factory setting that tells the converter box to turn off after 4 hours in order to save energy, if we're going to be programming a timer recording for more than 4 hours in the future.

o

Sometimes it is the simplest things, isn't it? I'm glad to hear it is now working for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here