Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need a Blu-ray player?

Posted by tobr24u (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 14, 12 at 7:50

My ten-year-old Samsung works perfectly and I only watch stuff that I get out of the library that isn't catalogued as Blu-ray. Thus, would a Blu-ray show this stuff better than my old player on my new flat screen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need a Blu-ray player?

Blu-ray is a high definition DVD. Do you "need" one? Only you can decide that.

BTW, Blu-ray players also play regular DVD's. Many also include the ability to stream media from services like Netflix assuming you have a broadband Internet connection.

o

We've got a Panasonic BDP 80 that has Blu Ray capabilities, but I've never played a Blu Ray myself.
But the grandkids were here over Christmas and they rented a Blu Ray movie. I couldn't see any improvement in the picture on a 52 inch Samsung.

o

You have to have a hi-def TV to see the differences. We noticed immediately that the old regular DVDs looked better with our BluRay player plus the hi-def TV. More and more movies will be available in BluRay, and you can get a good player for $100 now.

o

You do not need a Blu-Ray DVD player, however, if you have a ten year old DVD player you will notice a difference with either a standard definition up-converting DVD player, or a Blu-Ray DVD player, which will up-convert standard definition DVDs to 720p/1080i/1080p standards through interpolation.

Your television will also up-convert the standard definition signal, and look quite good, but the DVD player can perform a better conversion while the video is still in it's original MPEG2 video format.

BTW - Quite a few of the older titles being released on Blu-Ray today are still only standard definition formats up-converted to HD formats by the studio prior to the Blu-Ray authoring of the disc - and basically using the same technology as your DVD player or television.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here