Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ..Picture goes dark on AV setting!

Posted by don_na_na (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 27, 12 at 6:44

I have a Magnavox 36 inch TV, hooked to a Dish Network DVR and a Magnavox Combo VCR/DVD Recorder. The Combo is less than a year old. To use the combo, I have to select the AV setting on the TV remote. It worked great until about a month ago. Now when I try to record or watch the combo the picture goes dark intermittently. Any ideas what the problem is and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ..Picture goes dark on AV setting!

Make sure all cables going to/from all the boxes are secure. Remove each one and then reconnect it. What cable are you using for the final connection to the tv? If you are already using a HDMI cable, try a different HDMI cable if you have one. If you are not using HDMI, try one if you have HDMI ports available.

o
RE: Help ..Picture goes dark on AV setting!

Thanks azinoh!

I removed and reconnected each cable. I still had the same problem when on the AV setting (the picture goes dark with a red tint).

I do not have an HDMI port on the TV. The final connection was an AV cable with the yellow/red/white connectors. I switched this cable for a new cable that has the S-video/red/ white connectors. With this connection, the picture is no longer dark but has poor color and all the charactors have a sparkling halo around them (like Edward Cullen). This is only when the TV is set to the AV setting so that I can use the combo.

Thanks again for the input! Any suggestions on how to connect the units to avoid these problems will be greatly appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here