Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small transformer in the attic ??

Posted by OldBiker650 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 2:51

Any problems (experience adverse or otherwise) with placing a small transformer in the attic--where it gets up to 140F and down to 28F on occasion.

I am trying to find a good place for the power transformer for my security panel... prefer not to put it in the closet next to the panel. I don't know the thermal profile for these devices, whether they get warm in operation or can operate well in high ambient temps.

Cheers, Shawn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small transformer in the attic ??

residential security panel power supplies are designed to be in conditioned space and don't have the operating temperature range to live in an attic.

That isn't to say that you don't see it, but it is a fire hazard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here