Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plasma vs led glare?

Posted by ltg7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 4, 13 at 2:08

is there much difference with glare between a plasma tv and an led tv? i am looking at a 60" samsung plasma vs a 60 sharp aquos tv right now. basically for the living room. there are 3 large windows, facing east, so direct sunlight till around 11am or so at which point sun is overhead and no more direct sunlight. would direct sunlight vs just "regular" lighting make much of a difference for glare purposes between these two tv's?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plasma vs led glare?

This is one of the problems with both plasma and traditional CRT televisions - reflections off the glass face. LCD displays are less prone to this since the display technology uses polarized filters.

Plasma display choices are becoming fewer since most mfgs have shifted to LCD, and many traditional brands have gotten out of the television business altogether, and/or sold their names to other OEM mfgs.

Plasma display mfgs have been using filters and coatings over the glass to help overcome this issue - however, the result sometimes reduces the brightness, and also the wider horizontal viewing angle they enjoyed over LCD.

If you are going to be watching television before 11am, I'd lean towards LCD. If not, and you appreciate the somewhat better contrast ratios of plasma, go with plasma.

Either way, best bet is to purchase from a retailer with a more liberal return policy.

o

The latest TV technology is the LED version of LCD. It's thought to be brighter and have the best available picture in a light room (vs in a dark room). Though that doesn't speak any to glare. As Yosemite says, plasma TVs are kinda on their way out. They're also electricity hogs.

No TV is going to be at its best in direct sunlight. Can the windows be shaded at all?

o

thanks for the responses...

well, i have 2" blinds there so it helps...but there would always be some kind of light coming in...i decided to go with the sharp aquous...lets see how it works out...i'll update once i have everything setup, etc...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here