Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Phillips Magnavox the most unreliable TV?

Posted by californian (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 15, 07 at 1:56

I was just going through a couple of pages of this forum and this brand is the most mentioned as having a problem. This scares me as I just bought a 20 inch Magnavox for my dausghter to use a college. It seemed like a pretty good TV for the price ($76.00). They want about half of what I paid for it for an extended warranty.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Phillips Magnavox the most unreliable TV?

There has been some discussion on this point over the years. Apparently this forum is linked to some other Web sites where they discuss troubleshooting for Philips brands (including Magnavox). So people searching the Web for help often come across those links or, increasingly, this forum. Philips also sells lots and lots of TVs.

Philips would not be my first choice for a guaranteed trouble-free experience. But given that almost no smaller TVs are designed to be repaired, there is an argument for not spending very much in the first place.

I don't think I'd let the frequency of Philips being mentioned here bother me much. The repair forums contain many postings for Sears (Craftsman) garage-door openers and there's nothing systemically wrong with LiftMaster/Chamberlain (the company that manufactures the GDOs for Sears). It's just that there are so many of them out there that even a small percentage of troubled users will seem like a lot.

o

Consumers Reports had posted for years that Magnavox and it's sister companies Philips, Philco, and Sylvania were among the lowest in reliability in name brand tube TVs.

Now that more and more TVs sold are flat panel I don't think you can use that old data. And the Sylvania name has been sold to a Chinese mfgr.

o

We gave our son and his family a 25 inch TV several years ago and it's still working fine. They've had no trouble at all with it.
We have a 19 inch Tv in one of the bedrooms that my wife watches TV on. It's several years old also and still working with the exception of the rmote. It seems to be a problem with the TV rather than the remote, as a new remote did not the problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here