Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

CD Changer Noise

Posted by happs (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 1:43

I have a Harman Kardon FL8550 5 CD changer that plays about 40% of my CD's fine and the other 60%, plays them with a pronounced hiss or scratchy sound in the background. There is no rhyme or reason which discs play fine and which discs play with a hiss or scratch. Older, newer, classical, rock, makes no difference on outcome. I have tried cleaning the lens with a dry cd lens cleaning disc that has brushes on it and there is no difference. Any ideas on what's going on?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: CD Changer Noise

I am not sure, but it sounds like there are problems in the digital-analog converter chip.

Was this a very expensive unit? If not it may cost more to repair than it is worth, even if parts are available.

That's my 2 cents. A really good place to get audio questions answered by nice people is the forums.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here