Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jally1

seek expert on plug-in wax-tart warmers

jally
9 years ago

I bought this plug-in tart warmer via the Net, made-in-china, that looks something like the below.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/6/0/0/9/1/0/webimg/661885425_o.jpg

When it arrived I was shocked & disappointed. The situation:

(1) it's way larger than expected. So won't squeeze between the bath cabinet & light bulb, the way my glade-plug-in currently does.

(2) the grounding prong is at top, the double prongs are at bottom. Whereas my outlets are the opposite. No swivel mechanism either.

(3) the "grounding" prong is plastic. Is that for the purpose of it being removable, so that it can fit an upside-down or right-side-up outlet?
If so - how does one remove the plastic-prong?

So now I have this large lummox laying around. Does anyone have any suggestions? (other than the obvious one of returning it)

Why don't they disclose these things online without people having to send questions which are often never responded to...

Comments (7)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    9 years ago

I'd suspect the plastic ground prong is designed to help support the weight of the warmer as it obviously doesn't provide a grounding means. Since the warmer is plastic or some other non-conductive material it doesn't need to.

You could invert your receptacle, there's no code requirement for them to be one way or the other.

• jally
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Inversion is not an option - long story - nothing to do with viability.

Is it safe to cut off the plastic prong?

But even assuming it is, its still huge and won't fit.
    Why don't the idiots make these things no larger than Glade plug-ins?
    Not just that - the bulb doesn't appear to be removable, and you have to have an ultra-slim hand to reach the light-bulb in any case.

Any suggestions re: my above Qs?

• jally
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update to above:

I finally figured out this thing - by viewing some explanatory YouTube vids.

Indeed I was able to swivel the plug to a reverse configuration, as well as remove the bulb thru the underpart - also by swiveling it.

Now the only 2 gripes left are:

(1) it's huge
    (2) The dish can topple off - not good. Others are designed to safeguard against that.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

A common problem in buying 1)cheap plastic crap from China, 2) over the web w/o seeing it in person. I feel your pain.

• jally
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You can't imagine what a nightmare happened.

I'd started using it in dad's bathroom at BIL's house, and during process of removing the TOO-SHALLOW BAD-DESIGNED DISH to show my BIL, it had gotten SO hot, that my hand tipped it (same as gingerly tipping a bowl of burning soup).
    ...OUCH - reddish wax (mandarine scented) splattered all over my BIL's pristine white bath-sink & counter.

Also ruined the sleeve of my wool top - both inner & outer part of sleeve.

I was crying my heart out from the stress.

Thing is - there seems to be only:

15w bulbs
    4w bulbs

Question:

Are there 10w bulbs - so that it should still offer a yummy scent, but NOT liquify & cause a horrific mess?

How I wish I was conveniently located to convenient stores such as malls or AC-Moore's where people buy these things (as testified on YouTube video's). Whoever lives near such stores takes it for granted that such conveniences are easily accessible to most people, instead of the crap which people fall into online. They should thank their lucky stars, that they easily avoid these constant cat-in-bag crap-bag disappointments.

This post was edited by jally on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 0:33

• jally
    Original Author
    9 years ago

y'know, I think I'll post this Q in a new post.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Who knew a little plug in wax warmer could cause so much stress :o Scentsy plug in warmers don't' have removable dishes. They're "all in one". Now, their larger counter top warmers (two sizes) do have removable dishes but they've recently come out with some that don't. I don't know how big is too big for your needs but do yourself a favor and find a Scentsy consultant. You won't be sorry! She will be more than happy to answer all your questions. The wax and fragrances are completely safe and the wax is made to melt at a lower temp.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County