Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnavox 27' Color Problem

Posted by spoileddaddy (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 23, 10 at 0:12

Hello, hopefully someone can help. I have a Magnavox 27" T.V. Model #RS2761B401, Chassis #27Y105-00AA. The problem is what I call a "Color Bullseye" from the center of the screen outward, the colors are yellow-red-blue-green, and it takes up the whole screen. I get a picture and sound, but the "bullseye" is driving me crazy. If anyone can tell me what's going on, and/or how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate it!

spoileddaddy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnavox 27' Color Problem

Sounds like a magnet got placed near the TV. Confirm with a technician and, if so, ask him to demagnetize the picture tube.

o

Okay, I talked to a Technician. He told me because the set is 16 yrs. old, he does not want to touch it, but that if I really want him to he would be more than happy to charge me $175.00 to do so. Now, can someone tell ME how to de-magnatize the picture tube? Bye the way: no one went near the set with a magnet.......Any help is appreciated.

spoileddaddy

o

IF the problem is that the tube is magnetized, you will need to purchase, make, or borrow a demagnatizing coil.

They look like this.

http://www.twobits.com/parts/degauss+.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Click Here For Demagnetizing Information

o

Thanks jdbillp, I got a Degaussing Coil off of ebay (Radio Shack in my area don't got 'em). I used it and got rid of most of the Rainbow, but there is still discoloration around the edges of the screen. Still trying to work a round tool around a square screen. What's the secret?

spoileddaddy

o

Edited excerpt from the link I posted above.

To use this coil, turn on the unit (your TV) to be degaussed and display a picture.

Hold the coil right in front of the screen, then turn it on.

Slowly withdraw the coil from the screen while moving it around to cover the entire area of the screen.

When you can't see the rainbow effect any more (about 3 to 4 feet away), turn the coil sideways and cut the power.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here