Return to the Dollmaking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Porcelain Slip

Posted by
shirl
(shirlane2@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Nov 25, 01 at 22:50

Does anyone know how long one can keep porcelain slip? I have two cases of it, never opened and it is around 10 yrs old. Is there a shelf life for this stuff??
Thank for any info.
Shirl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Porcelain Slip

Shirl -
I really depends on the quality of the slip. If it is Seeley's, you're probably ok. It will have settled, and quite possibly, most of the 'free liquid' will have evaporated. If that is the case, you will need to replenish it, by adding DISTILLED water to it. You will then need to mix it VERY WELL...it will take a lot of stirring. I usually turn the jug upside down and leave it for a day or so. Just be sure that the lid is on very tight. You might even want to apply some petroleum jelly around the edge of the cap, after you have tightened it, as a further precaution. Just don't get any of it into the jug. Then stir and stir and stir some more. (Don't use a power mixer (drill attachment) until you are done mixing. Use it only as a final stir.) After you are satisfied that you have mixed it well, strain it through a wire mesh strainer over which you have stretched a leg from a pair of pantyhose...no holes or runs, please! Stir it again, let set (about 15 minutes) to release any pent-up air bubbles, and it should be ready to use. I always recommend a 'sample pour and firing' just to be sure there are no contaminates. If you find any dark specks or unaccounted for pin holes (air bubbles), then do not use. There are many brands of slip out there. I'm not saying that Seeley's is the only brand that will stand up to age, but if the brand you have was at all marginal quality 'in its prime', then just discard it. Hope this helps!

o

Thank so much for the very helpful information. I really appreciate it.
Shirl

o

Thank so much for the very helpful information. I really appreciate it.
Shirl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dollmaking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here